Repairing Cement Render

GSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a six year old house rendered with what I'm pretty certain is cement render which has been overpainted with textured paint. Unfortunately a complete idiot of a Sky installer drilled two holes through this from the inside out causing palm sized patches of render to be forced off. Obviously my son will be taking this up with Sky but I would be grateful for any advice regarding the best way to repair this damage. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure any loose bits are knocked back & the area is dust free.

Mix 4 yellow sand to 1 cement.

Maybe splash a bit of water into the area to be repaired then using the back of a trowel fill the area up, when the cement has nearly gone off give it a light brush over.

Give it a few days to harden and paint to suit, as required.

you will need a bag of plasterers sand and cement from the builders merchants.

mix together the sand and cement at a ratio of 3 sand to 1 cement.

a tin spot of fairy liquid (plasticiser) will help when mixing with water. don't mix it too wet.

thoroughly wet the area to be patched and apply the mortar. leave for half hour then smooth flat with a pointing trowel. you can rub it over with a sponge later on if you want to flush it up nice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much indeed for all the advice but as the areas involved are reasonably small would Weatherproof Polyfilla or even Quick Set Cement Pollyfilla mixed with water do as good a job as plasterers sand and cement? If so would Weatherproof Polyfilla, which takes up to an hour to set and therefore gives more time to work with, be better than Quick Set Cement Polyfilla which sets hard in only ten minutes?

Also as the Sky man has smeared what looks like clear silicon sealer over the surface of the damaged areas I presume that I will have to clean this off completely to get a good key before attempting a repair?

All things concidered you should have Sky back to repair the damage & be on site to ensure they do it properly.

yeah........you'll have to loose the silicone first.

i suppose an exterior grade filler would do, but as a builder with experience, i would always choose the sand and cement method.

Many thanks to you both for all your time and advice and based on this I will certainly go down the plasterers sand and cement method if I can find it at our local builders merchants.

I've actively encouraged my son to hold Sky responsible for this mess but I think that he would like me to try and see if I can fix it first before taking them on. I'm retired now so I have a bit more time than he has to sort these sort of things out. I will let you know how I get on!

Just a quick question - would kiln dried sand do in stead of plasterers sand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back