How to drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to fit a towel rail and a shower rail.

The room has been tiled with these cream tiles, highly polished and about 20" wide and 10" high. About 10mm thick. The edges seem diamond cut.

The builder said he had tried drilling but they just blunted his TCT tipped drills and the only way he could make a hole was to cut a square hole with a diamond disc.

I need holes about 10-15mm for the towel rail and could just use 8mm plugged holes for the shower rail.

Does anyone recognise the type of tile and have any suggestions on drilling them?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem with my new bathroom tiles...I used a tile scribe to make an initial mark through the top glaze... I measured where I needed the hole then put masking tape on the tile (helps stop the drill bit zooming across the tile), then used the scribing tool to make a small guide hole/mark through the glaze.. I then used a small drill bit and slowly increased the size of the bit until it was as required.

Yes, but this tile is a glass like material all the way through and blunted normal drills the builder used.

Tony

Maybe a quick call to the manufacturers could provide a solution...I'm afraid I'm out of my depth. \best of luck

Sponsored Links
sounds very much like you are trying to drill a porcelain tile mate. ordinary bits aint gonna do it, you need diamond tipped bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back