how to dry out sodden wooden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is considered inappropriate, but I asked this question in the flooring forum but noone has come up with any ideas, so I hope you may be able to help more.

The problem is how to dry wet floorboards which extend under other flooring.

In more detail, I have a shower room, in which vinyl flooring has been laid on 6mm plywood (I think - this predates our getting the house) on top of the floorboards, which are suspended on joists about 15in above ground level. This vinyl and ply goes around the shower tray base surrounds. I've just had to get under the shower tray, and on removing the tray surrounds, it seems the seal between the base and the surrounds has failed some time ago, with the result that the bit of the floorboards in the gap is soaking with damp. I don't know how far it has spead under the ply, but it doesn't seem to have spread past the batten used to brace the surround. So:

any advice on the best way of drying out these floorboards?

If I can't dry them out is there any wood preservative I can use to soak into the damp boards to stop any rot starting?

Any other suggestions?

Note the shower is out of use until I can get the floorboards dry, put the base surrounds back and seal it properly this time.

I don't want to have to remove the vinyl flooring and hardboard and then have them reinstalled if it isn't necessary.

Sponsored Links
I don't want to have to remove the vinyl flooring and hardboard and then have them reinstalled if it isn't necessary.

the answer is you must remove them or seal and take the risk

can you get under the floor to look or take a picture from maybe an adjoining room ?

If you can lift a board and get a fan heater under there you may be able to dry out the timber, depends how long it's been leaking though, may have damaged supporting timber [joists].

Sponsored Links
the answer is you must remove them or seal and take the risk

I was afraid that would be the answer.

can you get under the floor to look or take a picture from maybe an adjoining room ?

Not easily, but that is a sensible thing to try and do.

Wouldn't use a fan heater, try and dehumidify first u don't want it to dry to fast.

I have borrowed a dehumidfier and put it in the shower room; and have a fan heater, set to cold, blowing over the damp bit that is showing.

I need to have the shower room in operation over the Christmas period due to visitors coming. So it looks as if I will have to seal it back up over that period and then remove the vinyl etc in the new year to find out what the situation really is.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back