How to estimate number of roll for hall landing and stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the hall landing and stairs to wallpaper and I need some help in estimating the number of rolls I need please.

Total area that needs paper on it is 35 square metres. (I've taken out the areas for the doors and windows.)

The problem is there are a lot of different drops. From 50cm above doors to a maximum of 3.5m from the top of the stair well to the stairs.

Any idea how to work this out?

Sponsored Links
I find it comes with experience, depending on the pattern and the longest drop in the stairwell you MAY get two drops out of a roll, or use the end piece further along the stairs. Have a couple of rolls on the go at the same time.
by taking the width of a roll of paper one can work out roughly how many drops one needs.

I always work out, from the Middle of the longest drop both sides so the pattern is consistent throughout the Stair well

The passage way, landing can be worked out by standard room measurements ( these can be found on the Internet)

Always get a couple more rolls than you think you need, most good wallpaper stockists will accept returns that are unused.

If you tell us
(i)what the pattern repeat is
(ii) how many standard drops there will be (assuming roll width of 53 com)
(iii) how many extra long or short drops there will be and their lengths

and we will help you estimate total number of rolls, assuming standard roll size.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

So many doors, (and a couple of windows) :eek:

I have wood panelling in the hallway so fairly short drops. Also wood panelling up the stairs so shorter drops than could be! Standard drops on the landing.

Hallway.
4x1.6, 1x0.4, 4x0.5, 1x2.3, 1x1.8

Landing.
5x2.5, 4x0.6, 1x0.8

Stairs.
1x2, 1x2.5, 2x2.7
1x2.9, 1x3.1, 1x3.4
1x3.7, 1x3, 1x2.3

Lots of wallpaper there.

How many for 60cm repeat and how many for no repeat? (standard rolls 53cm)

Incidentally I tried a couple of online calculators. One came out at 19 rolls :eek: and another at 13 plus a percentage depending on how big the repeat.

Sorry if thats a lot of working out.

Sponsored Links
OK, here goes!

First, unless I've missed something, I made the total area to be covered 30.68 sq m, simply by totalling all your lengths of paper, which comes to 57.9 m. Multiply that by 0.53 (width of a roll) and it comes to 30.68 sq m. However, that doesn't allow for any trimming top and bottom (allow 5 cm per length, which adds approx 1.5 m of wallpaper, i.e. an extra 0.79 sq m.

Anyway, assuming your 35 sq m is correct, if there is no pattern repeat and minimal waste, logic suggests that the minimum number of rolls you'd need would be:

35 sq m divided by 5.3 sq m (total area of one roll of paper)
= 6.6, or 7 rolls. Allow 1 extra roll for waste = 8 rolls.

FWIW I papered a large HSL recently with a dado rail but the same paper above and below; that was a total of 65 sq m, no pattern repeat and it took 17 rolls. Which was what I spent ages working it out to be, only to take off the old paper and find the previous decorator had done the same calcs and written it on the lining paper! Customer had worked out 24 rolls and man in Dulux Dec Centre , 21 rolls! :rolleyes:

So I don't think yours will be anywhere like 13 rolls and certainly not 19, even with a pattern repeat. If there is a pattern repeat of 60 cm, and assuming it never works to your advantage, you need to allow an extra 60 cm per drop:

31 drops x 60 cm = 18.6 m of wallpaper = extra 2 rolls.

So I reckon 9 or 10 rolls should be enough in that case.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, and your time to work it out.

I think the original 35 sq M is probably nearer the mark.

I had already worked out the 7 rolls based on the area measured and was sure (well hoping :LOL: ) that 19 rolls was way off the mark. Thats nearly three times the area after all.

I'll see what their policy is on taking back unused rolls so I'll play safe and go for 10 and hope they have another spare roll just in case!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back