hall and stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a new home.
The hall and stairs are in big need of decorating, and I would appreciate a bit of advice.

When I decorated the living room, I was kind of lazy in that I hired a Painter & Decorator to prepare the walls before I did the easy part of painting.

I’m new to the world of decorating and so even just painting the living room was pretty rewarding, but the hallway and stairs looks like a whole new ballgame!

The reason I am a little apprehensive about doing the hall and stairs is because of the following:

1. A portion of wall in the hall (about 1ft square) that NTL drilled through to the living room to insert a cable looks ready to collapse in on itself on one side. It has cracked badly and appears to be falling apart.
Should I attempt to repair the wall somehow, bearing in mind that I have trouble filling regular holes with Polyfiller with any level of success.

2. Some parts of the wall in the hall & stairway have lots of tiny hairline cracks, but I assume that is because the previous tenant had used very low quality watered down magnolia that the tiny tiny cracks could not be covered by. Will good old Dulux sort that out for me?

3. Numerous other holes, some tiny, some slightly larger areas of what I assume is plaster broken away are here and there. What do I fill those with, and how?

4. At the bottom of the stairway, on the edge of the ceiling before it becomes the wall that rises up to the highest part of the ceiling above the stairs (I hope that makes sense), chunks have been knocked away by furniture that was squeezed past it. I tried filling the areas in question (part ceiling and part wall) with a polycell mix, but the “cement” or what ever its called just falls off and is impossible to shape into a nice edge. How and what do I use for that?

Do I attempt to do this job, or do I hire a decorator (baring in mind that im not exactly rolling in the money right now)?
Some advice on how to do the jobs and what products to use would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any advice you can offer me.

Sponsored Links
I’m sorry; I guess this job is even more complicated than I thought.
It might help you guys if I take some photos of the work to be done.
Ill try and get those shared by tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay!

This whole thing is kind of getting me down, but I need to make a decision on what im going to do.

Iv added some pictures to my album here, but I cant see how to put them in this thread.

Sponsored Links
added comments, all you need is a big tub of polyfilla, a shed load of sand paper and an estate agent on you favourites list on your phone, make-over back on the market someone elses problem!! bodgit and Scarper

If not you need a plasterer to replaster the whole thing

Hi 5hane. As for the cracks, on the one's close to the skirting boards I'm sure I can see a damp patch on those photo's, do you have a leak behind that plaster and thats why it's falling apart? If so that will need looking at asap before any decorating work. If and when that is sorted out you will need to take away all of the loose plaster and re-plaster it but if you have trouble filling holes then you will need a good Decorator or even a Plasterer. The piece next to the door could be filled out with a Polyfilla (powdered) mix when all loose material has been removed, but again, you're best getting a good Decorator in by the sounds of it. As for the pieces where furniture has marked, again a good quality filler should stick to that. Don't worry about getting it too neat first time, you can sand it down with sandpaper and re-fill if necessary. For the hair-line cracks just run a scraper through them to open them up a little, remove all loose material, fill and sand down. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies!!

I'm sure I can see a damp patch

Ahh yes, believe it or not that was an attempt I made before the wall was damaged to simply paint over small cracks in the wall using magnolia paint.

I assumed the magnolia I purchased would blend in perfectly.

How wrong I was!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back