How to fill large voids left from skirting board removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just had our kitchen floor re-tiled. We removed the skirting boards before they came, and we do not want to put skirting boards back. We much prefer not having them. The trouble is, while most of the room is fine and may need the odd dab of filler for SB nail holes etc, there are a couple of areas where there is quite a deep void (or is "recess" a better word?). One such area is a solid wall, and the other is a plasterboard wall which is actually the side of a larder cupboard.

What would be the best way to fill these areas and what should I use? The finish doesn't have to be great. It's an old farmhouse, the type where we wear welllies indoors etc. and the walls are not perfectly smooth. So rough and ready is fine.

Many thanks

(PS - Hope I chose the right forum, I guess it's not strictly speaking plastering or rendering, but is it close enough??)

IMG_20210304_105000048.jpg

IMG_20210304_105059456.jpg

IMG_20210304_105223768.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might be a problem sticking plaster or cement in that at could pull damp..

I repaired a small section like that with tile backer board stuck with foam. Then I skimmed over..

Maybe I should not comment as not my area. You have to be careful with old walls like that.

Don't fancy floor tiles run around floor Level?

I was going to suggest tiles cut as skirting as well.
My old work place did the same. The foyer was ceramic tiled and they used the same material as skirting. It looked fine.

is that breeze block? I would have thought that you could just use bonding plaster or even cement to fill most of the gap, then a smoother plaster over the top.

Another workplace used a rubber skirting in some areas
https://www.safetyflooring.uk.com/accessories_skirting~access~1329498814.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back