How to fill small gaps/cracks on exterior wooden door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just been preparing some wooden external doors for a maintenance repaint. I noticed on the french doors that there are gaps at some of the joins. Perfectly normal I'm sure, as the wood expands and contracts. So I'm not worried about it, but I did wonder if it is something I should look to address while sprucing them up? I've attached some pics to show what I mean. Do you think I need to do anything and if so what would be the best thing to use?

There's also some gaps at the top of the drip bar of my back door. Same questions there really.... Wasn't sure if I would use the same thing seeing as this is a corner gap rather than a flush one. Again I've attached some pics.

Many thanks for any help :)

Max

French Doors - Join Gap 01.JPG French Doors - Join Gap 02.JPG French Doors - Join Gap 03.JPG Back Door - Drip Bar Gap 01.JPG Back Door - Drip Bar Gap 02.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I wasn't sure which was the best forum and thought it fitted just as well in both. Perhaps if it is more appropriate in that forum a mod could move it there? Or I can if I have the facility?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can get an exterior caulk to seal these gaps. Painters Mate I think.

Just wipe any excess off with a wet finger/damp cloth.

The gaps should be filled to prevent moisture getting in, also will make your paint job look 100 times nicer.

Quite quick drying, so daft not to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back