How to find a leak in central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I think I may have a leak in my central heating system. I have been losing pressure in the boiler for a while and have to top it up to maintain pressure every couple of days, I am assuming that water must be escaping from it somewhere?

I don't think it is upstairs, a water leak would have revealed itself by now. So it is likely to be downstairs, unfortunately, I have solid floors and laminate flooring which means trying to locate a potential leak very difficult.

Any advice on how I might resolve this? By I of course I mean a qualified plumber!

David

Sponsored Links
if you have solid floors, are the pipes buried in the concrete or do you have a drop fed system where the radiators are fed from pipes coming from above,
if they are buried in the floor a leak would've shown up buy now in the form of loose concrete and warped flooring.

it could also be that the water is leaking via the safety blow off pipe that is outside, check to see if it's dripping

The pipes are buried in the floor.

I can see no water from the boiler overflow but neither are the floors warped so its a mystery.

what boiler do you have make and model please ? some boilers can leak without showing signs anywhere

Sponsored Links
It's a Vokera Mynute 20se

Probably installed when the house was built in 1999.

it is possible that the heat exchanger on your Mynute is pinholed usually on the weld, you cant check this yourself unfortunately but you can get a gas safe registered engineer to check this , if it is this it will be immediately visable to him /her. basically when it leaks here when the burner comes on the heat causes the leaking water to evaporate and exit through the flue so you dont always notice the leak inside the boiler, but its something that will only get worse if that is what your problem is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back