1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding a leak in the central heating system?.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Sherco290, 28 Feb 2021.

1. Sherco290

Sherco290

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I clearly have a leak somewhere in the CH sytem as the water pressure is being lost quite quickly after filling so obviously I'm not using it. It seemed to happen quite suddenly, nothing showing upstairs or on downstairs ceiling, so appears to be under downstairs floor.
    I'm unlikely to get a plumber for a month or two until Covid restrictions are lifted a bit, but just for interest, how does the plumber detect a leak under the floor?.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What you chatting about?

I'm on call now, if the phone rings, I'm going to work.

Make some phones calls, get some prices.

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If a pressurised system check the safety valve is not discharging, a 15mm pipe on the outside wall somewhere. Might be a faulty valve or expansion vessel allowing over pressurising.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    set boiler pressure to 1-1.5 Bar when cold , turn heating on and ch and check the pressure again after 30 mins and see what the pressure is now at, if near 3 Bar you have an expansion problem not a leak

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sherco290

Sherco290

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I should have said, it's a sealed system with external high level expansion vessel. Expansion vessel is free of water and pressurised. No water escaping through tundish.
    I was wakened one morning about 30 mins after CH came on, by the sound of air in the radiator beside the upstairs bed. Checked the water pressure gauge which was below 1, topped up, bled radiators and switched CH back on, about an hour later the pressure was down to 1 again, so all turned off. I suspect a sudden leak under downstairs floor, can't see anywhere else water could be escaping unless maybe a leak in the coil inside the cylinder but the DHW is quite clean and no smell off it.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2021
  7. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get a thermal camera.

Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sherco290

Sherco290

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Andy, never thought of that, we have a very expensive and powerful TI riflescope and binos, I'll give them a try. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28 Feb 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links