How to fix Kingspan insulation sheets to a smooth ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really need to insulate my bathroom better, as it's over a garage. One obvious area is the garage ceiling, which has a thin bit of polystyrene glued to part of if. Better would be some thick Kingspan sheets, but how to attach them? The ceiling's smooth unpainted plaster, the Kingspan is shiny silver on it's sides. Will No More Nails do the job?

Sponsored Links
We generally use insulation washers

ae235.jpeg-3.jpg

And very long screws (up to 300mm) to go into joists and/or rafters. Adhesives can always fail

Can be a 1-person job with the help of a (hired-in) board lifter:

41OsKyyWHTL._AC_SY780_.jpg

If you do it 2-handed without a lifter make yourself one or a couple of board supports out of 2 x 2 CLS or even slate lath:
sddefault.jpg
Or get yourself a couple of cheap telescopic supports (e.g Toolstation # 72700)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you're putting PIR under the ceiling of an integral garage be aware of any fire safety implications.

Not something I'd thought about at all but good point. Something else to Google.

How to fix Kingspan insulation sheets to a smooth ceiling?

since it is the room above you wish to insulate, not the room below the ceiling, take up the floor of the upstairs room and lay mineral wool between the joists. It can be stuffed in tightly to block draughts, which are the main source of cold from a floor (especially round the edges)

while you are working, seal any holes and gaps, e.g. edges, doorways, holes for pipes, cables and lamps, with fire foam

the performance of Kingspan in a fire is very bad.

Mineral wool does not burn, drip, or emit poisonous fumes.

"A senior Kingspan executive has said the company did not deliberately conceal information from a House of Commons committee.

Adrian Pargeter was responding to questions at the Grenfell Fire Inquiry."

"The inquiry has previously heard that Kingspan K15 insulation - which had turned into "a raging inferno" when it was subjected to a fire test - was used on Grenfell tower."

_115771673_040058771-1.jpg

"Giving evidence to the inquiry last November, a former technical project lead at Kingspan, Ivor Meredith, admitted he was involved in a deliberate calculated deceit carried out by the company - aimed at achieving the best possible sales for its insulation products."

the performance of Kingspan in a fire is very bad.
Agreed. ln construction that is ameliorated by the PIR boards often being above a layer of plasterboard which does have a fire rating. Never really been a fan of PIR becsuse of the fire issues

Mineral wool does not burn, drip, or emit poisonous fumes.
it is also better in terms of soundproofing when installed snugly. Mineral wool batting (which is sawn to size with a hand saw or cut with an insulation knife/breadknife) is preferable to mineral wool roll if noise abatement is called for

This is all quite convenient as the floor is question is going to be taken up in a few weeks for some new heating pipework. I can pack it then.

Whichever you install, I'd recommend wearing a P2 or P3 filter mask when cutting or installing insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back