How to fix SWA to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a first floor flat and am doing some decorating. I removed a panel above the door at the top of my stairs and could see the area above the stairs. I was interested to see how the SWA cable that supplies my electric meter is attached to the wall. I'm not going to let the DNO fix it unless they will also redecorate.

Attachments

• 20210416_151024.jpg
    20210416_151024.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
I'm not going to let the DNO fix it unless they will also redecorate.

Best advice is to not do anything to the cable yourself. The fuse in the substation protecting that cable is at least 200 Amp and possibly 400 Amp.

If you consider the cable is un-safe then get the DNO involved with making it safe. Work by the DNO to make it safe is not normally charged to the owner/tenant. Work necessary to repair damaged caused by the owner/tenant is often charged and can be very expensive.

Best advice is to not do anything to the cable yourself. The fuse in the substation protecting that cable is at least 200 Amp and possibly 400 Amp.

If you consider the cable is un-safe then get the DNO involved with making it safe. Work by the DNO to make it safe is not normally charged to the owner/tenant. Work necessary to repair damaged caused by the owner/tenant is often charged and can be very expensive.
I'm not even considering touching it. It is above a ceiling and the only way to get at it would involve taking down the ceiling so it can stay as they left it. I expected to see it neatly clipped to the wall, not just with one fixing in a 4 metre run, it has been like that for over 20 years so can outlive me.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back