1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How to fix SWA to a wall

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by john4703, 16 Apr 2021.

1. john4703

john4703

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I live in a first floor flat and am doing some decorating. I removed a panel above the door at the top of my stairs and could see the area above the stairs. I was interested to see how the SWA cable that supplies my electric meter is attached to the wall. I'm not going to let the DNO fix it unless they will also redecorate.

Attached Files:

2. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Best advice is to not do anything to the cable yourself. The fuse in the substation protecting that cable is at least 200 Amp and possibly 400 Amp.

If you consider the cable is un-safe then get the DNO involved with making it safe. Work by the DNO to make it safe is not normally charged to the owner/tenant. Work necessary to repair damaged caused by the owner/tenant is often charged and can be very expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. john4703

john4703

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm not even considering touching it. It is above a ceiling and the only way to get at it would involve taking down the ceiling so it can stay as they left it. I expected to see it neatly clipped to the wall, not just with one fixing in a 4 metre run, it has been like that for over 20 years so can outlive me.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    48A6B486-98B3-4DF0-A35B-26A4E07CFE94.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links