How to get me a shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy all

So, I moved into a house a couple of years ago. The bathroom is kinda small, but I live alone, so it wasn't a huge deal

I do however, have an electric shower. I assume this was put in when the house (1970s) had a tank. It now has a combie boiler. Many issues with the electric shower... mainly the cost of running them (and poor pressure)

So, the easiest way would be to connect a hose to the bath taps....but my bath taps are an odd shape, so won't work. So the next easiest option is to change the bath taps.... but these are in the middle on the wall side... so I'd have to remove the bath!

So, I was wondering if a plumber could plumb from the boiler in the cupboard to the bath. The current electric shower is on the same wall as the sink

Also, while I'm here .... the Uber best option would be to knock the airing cupboard into the bathroom and move the boiler into the external wall instead of the rear wall of the airing cupboard.

Views/advice etc?

Ps Ive done a floor plan if anyone can tell me how to upload!?
Screenshot_20230930-220712.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd just put a thermostatic bath tap on. Keep the electric shower as it's your back up hot water when your combi breaks down.

Sponsored Links
Could always go from boiler up into loft and drop down in Chrome plated copper, or tee off the basin feeds. Are the bath taps on what appears to be a window wall?

Yes, move the boiler, Is there anywhere else it can go in the flat?

Reinstate that wall once the cupboards out, bath goes in, in with it's head where the cupboard is just now, there will be pipework left over from the boiler for the bath. Toilet stays where it is and basin goes in top left or under the window.
I would suggest that was the way it was before and the cupboard for the boiler was a later addition as it's very unlikely they would have put a bath under the window like that, as part of the original design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back