How to get smooth walls?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve just moved into new place and we’re doing a bit of redecorating - unfortunately the walls in this place are pretty terrible. Lots of holes (which is fine I can fill those) but also lots of slightly more problematic wavy uneven plasterwork (to be honest it’s so uneven I’m not even sure if it is plasterwork).

I’m keen to get the walls as smooth as possible before painting over them and would love some advice! I’ve attached a couple of pictures so you can see the problem but basically it’s a whole load of ripples, divots and waves – none of which I think are solvable with a tub of filler!

I’ve been thinking of a couple of options and would love to get your feedback/recommendations on each?

So first option is obviously getting a plasterer in to skim the walls but we’ve just spent a bucket load getting the ceilings free of artex – so quite keen not to spend more money on plasterers unless absolutely necessary.

Second – sanding down. I had a crack at this last weekend and to be honest it doesn’t seem to be getting me very far even using a power sander. Should I just keep at it?

Third – lining paper (then paint over). My two concerns with this approach are that the waves will still show through the paper (is this right?) and that the seams of the paper will also show through the paint.

Any other suggestions for getting nice smooth walls and getting rid of all these odd dips, bumps and ripples?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Based on those photos, skimming is going to be the only way to get the finish you want.

If you have to do significant sanding you'll end yo with a dips and high spots all over the wall.

Lining paper will reduce the effects of the poor state of the wall, but you will still see some of the marks through it. But it'll be an improvement and cheaper than skimming.

Thanks both, greatly appreciated. I think I might give the lining paper a go. Any recommendations on what type/thickness would be best? I assume the thicker the better?

And any words of wisdom on how best to hide the seams when I paint over it?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Double line.

Line horizontally around the room first and the vertically.

It'll help hide the defects and they'll bad less shrinkage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back