How do I get smooth walls cheaply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that skimming would give nice and smooth walls but I'm trying to decorate relatively cheaply and have been told that it's pretty expensive to get someone in.

There's also the other option of lining paper - is there a way of making this really smooth?

Also, a friend told me that you can get paint that is supposed to make your walls smoother somehow. Does this exist?

Sponsored Links
I would rub down your existing walls first..hopefully they are in good condition beforehand though because lining paper isnt a miracle solution...if the walls are rough and bumpy underneath so will your lining paper be..unless you make sure they are nice ans smooth and flat first

Go for 600 grade lining paper (the lower the number the smoother it is)

Thin out your first coat of paint by about 25% and apply it with a 4 inch brush

When its dry rub the walls down with 120 grade abrasive paper (the green stuff...aluminium oxide)

Then re coat...again using a brush and thinning the paint down byt about 20%

Do it on a cold/cool day, that will hep stop the edges of the paint drying as your going along.

Use matt not silk...allthugh silk will give you a smoother finish it wont look very nice.

Thanks for the advice. I looked for 600 grade paper - the lowest my B&Q does is 800.

I'm sure I'll manage the cool/cold day part easily!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go to a decorators merchants youll find 600 no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back