How to smooth this out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just taken off wallpaper which was some sort of paper backed vynil. The plaster wall is in great condition but seems to be painted white which has a very smooth finish but doesn't seem to have been mist coated so has flaked off in some places.

What's the best way to smooth that over, should I have the wall skimmed or try and sand it back? or is there a thick primer which could be rolled on please?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Doesn't seem so bad by the picture.
If the rest of the wall seems sound then give a light sand to remove some of the loose around the affected area, seal with zinsser peel stop, give a coat of white then fill as necessary using a wide blade.

If it seems loose all over then removing the old paint shouldn't be to much trouble.

Sponsored Links
Premixed fine surface filler, wide french blade, block and sand paper back to smooth.

Shut your eyes, run hand over area- if you can feel bumps and dips, you will see them when painted.

Thanks for the replies

It will definitely show through the paint as I've made that mistake elsewhere in the house. I am impressed at how smooth the white paint finish is but curious that it's not bonded with the plaster so flakes off.

So not bad enough to warrant a skim ?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies

It will definitely show through the paint as I've made that mistake elsewhere in the house. I am impressed at how smooth the white paint finish is but curious that it's not bonded with the plaster so flakes off.

So not bad enough to warrant a skim ?

Thanks
Fingers crossed its just an isolated area, when appying the first coat of paint, watch out for any blistering of the paint below.

Thanks. I ended up removing the paint on one wall with a metal scouring thing from the kitchen. Worked a treat and didn't damage plaster. For the larger section of wall it worked well enough to smooth rather than remove the paint but still took off the loose flakes. At least enough to get some Base coats on.

(Luckily it's a dark room haha...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back