How to get that golden smooth antique pine floor look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please do not duplicate your threads
Hi everyone,

The original pine floor in our living is currently stained orange-ish, as pictured. What I want is the really smooth, light golden look (see other photo). Please let me know how to achieve it. Should I sand it or strip it, then varnish or oil or stain ..? The variety of methods are a little dizzying for me.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Current floor.png
    Current floor.png
    548.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Goal 1.jpg
    Goal 1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Floor sander and edge sander. Make sure you have tapped down the nails so that they are recessed in the board otherwise you'll get through a lot of belts when the nails catch them.

(mod, sorry to repost here, it seems a more appropriate place to ask)

Hi everyone,

The original pine floor in our living is currently stained orange-ish, as pictured. What I want is the really smooth, light golden look (see other photo). Please let me know how to achieve it. Should I varnish or oil or stain ..? The variety of methods are a little dizzying for me.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Goal 1.jpg
    Goal 1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Current floor.png
    Current floor.png
    548.2 KB · Views: 56
My floor was a dark orange/brown when the carpets came up.
When sanded it was pale and close to white compared with how it had been finished.
I'd discussed the ideal colour be with the sanding guy and he mixed up a test on the floor using bonna colour i think?
Once agreed, he did the colour then used several clear coats

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what you do to it, pine will always go yellow/golden on exposure to light and that all you can do is minimise the effect. So avoid oil-based lacquers, which have a straw/pale yellow hue and tend to go more yellow with age, and use a clear water based finish with a UV blocker to minimise the effect. Accept the fact that it won't stay that "scrubbed pine" white colour forever

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter what you do to it, pine will always go yellow/golden on exposure to light and that all you can do is minimise the effect. So avoid oil-based lacquers, which have a straw/pale yellow hue and tend to go more yellow with age, and use a clear water based finish with a UV blocker to minimise the effect. Accept the fact that it won't stay that "scrubbed pine" white colour forever

I've tried to sand a small part by hand and bare pine colour seems too white/bleached for the look I'm after. Will they fade to yellow in a while or should I use some colour finish?

untreated "white pine" will turn to antique in perhaps 2 years
if you stain it now it will in two or three years it will then be darker as its now antique pine with stain on top

untreated "white pine" will turn to antique in perhaps 2 years
if you stain it now it will in two or three years it will then be darker as its now antique pine with stain on top

Thank you, so the pine colour of the photo I attached above is simply varnished stripped pine yellowing over time? 2 years would worth the wait!

Is there a better way to get to bare wood from stained wood than sanding? Would chemical stripper or wood bleach work as well or is it too messy? Sanding is quite quick and convenient, however the negative for me is we would lose the surface character of the wood.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back