Oak flooring or sand existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sanding pine boards and applying a stain.... does this make them turn orange? I've seen some pictures of some work done by various comapnies and does look impressive.
Would oak flooring on top be a better option. Whats everyone done on her to their flooring?

Sponsored Links
Pine does tend to turn orange - a natural effect - when you apply a clear finish to it. Adding a little colour will reduce this chance.

Cheers, also if I put oak flooring down, is it best to take the old boards up?

You can (beware if hidden pipes and wires!) or if they are in good nick and you're not worried about the extra height you can install boards directly onto of them (be it floating on underlayment or secret nailing)

Sponsored Links
Pine is a soft floor, I think you acctualy mean douglas fir floor. The stains and scraches makes a lot of more damage then say to white or white oak. When you sand the old douglas fir or pine you have to go ver deap to get read of all discoloration and stains.

The old one will show all the imperfections.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back