How to glue Damp proof membrane to block painted with B Jack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the best stuff to use to stick damp proof membrane to the inside of some raised beds already painted with blackjack?

The beds are already lined with the membrane and mostly filled with soil, apart from the top 15cm or so to allow me to stick the edges down and cut the membrane. I want to ideally be able to paint a thick gunge behind the membrane to stick it and might then paint a couple of coats over the join once dry for extra seal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did consider using this and in fact had used it on some last year. As part of this lining, I had to remove the old stuff, which pretty much fell off. I was hoping for something stronger. Any ideas if the roofing bitumen stuff is stronger than black jack?

Surely where the soil makes contact with the plastic sheet it will automatically push it against the planter wall, no?

And this in turn it the critical point of the project.

We are talking about raised beds and not a habitable room with sensitive electronic equipment inside.

If you want the real McCoy then you would chase the material into the mortar joint and then re-point. :p

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response noseal, but I want a better seal than relying on the soil weight. Otherwise as soon as digging or movement occurs over the years and soil gets behind the plastic, it will just allow water in and I'd have to dig all the soil out AGAIN to correct it....

I have now found the solution and thought I'd share it in case any future people search on a similar post. Flashing tape! As this is bitumin based it was perfect. I bought rolls of 10m, cut the membrane half the width of the tape lower than the top of the wall and then stuck the tape on half the membrane half the wall so the top of it was just under the cappign stone, which should help to stop water tryign to get behind it.

Worked a treat so far..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back