How to hold open a top hung window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with a pvc window. It is a top hung window so has a hinge each side. Handle in the middle.

the hinges don’t hold the window open and it is not easy to change them on the window as it is 4 storys up.

so I was thinking just to put in a device to hold it open but not sure what I could use. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Bit of wood, maybe tethered to the handle. Might not be aesthetic, but would do the job maybe.

Assuming that the uPVC glazing beads are on the inner face of the window, why not remove them and the glass? Wouldn't he casement will be light enough to hold whilst you remove the friction stay hinges from the frame?

Sponsored Links
Trevor when you open the window and push it out take a look at the hinges, as you open you should see a black(usually but can be grey) plastic guide thats slides up and down the stainless steel channel, look closely at that black guide and you should see a tiny slot headed brass screw, as the hinge closes up this screw can get obscured so you might have to push it open a fair way, with the screw visible tighten it(both sides) a quarter of a turn, need more resistence then tighten more, also give the slides a good lube, silicone spray is ok but if you have graphite spray this is better as its dry and the s*** won't stick to it.

Careful if its a big opener and if the hinges are 500mm 600mm long, if too tight when you pull the handle towards you to close rather than the slide sliding to close up the hinge the long strips of steel just fold up and bend, normally see this on terraced houses with 50/50 split windows

Thanks Crank, very useful.

Yes its a split 50/50 window with the top opening.

Taking out the glass is a no no as the window is externally beaded. I bought it in 2010 not knowing it was external and the shop didnt tell me. They came out to fit the glass free of charge however as i couldnt risk it on the attic floor and having a pavement below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back