How to ID Plumbing Measurements for Replacement Parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time trying to do DIY plumbing in the toilet. I have 2 toilet flush system in botth bathroom. These are both Part 1 Ballcock systems.
I can id the standard 1/2" ballcock system and can get the parts easily. But for the downstairs toilet, the ballcock system have a bigger body compared to the standard 1/2" system.

I hope by describing the bigger system parts, some one here who is well versed in plumbing can help me. The bigger system has the following:
1) the piston is brass and it takes a 3/4" rubber washer.
2) if the brass piston is place to stand upright, it is the same as a 1p coin size on its end
3) the houising where the piston goes in is bigger in size than a standard 1/2" system
4) the water inlet end of the bigger system can also fit into the water inlet that a 1/2" was connected to.
5) the base of the white jet cone on the bigger system is the same as the 1/2" system. But the bore hole where the water pass through is bigger on the bigger system compared to the 1/2" system
6) on the bigger system, the old brown fiber washer that fits between the base of the white cone and the mains inlet pipe is bigger than that on the 1/2" system. The bigger fiber washer is the size of a 2p coin.

a) Can anyone help and tell me what size is the brass (bigger) ballcock system. Also.
b) do they do a similar outer size white cone but the bore size are different ? Is there a name to differeciate between these two ?

Any clarifications greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
post some photos.

Is it supplied from a loft tank, or from the watermain supply?

JohnD - both is from the water mains supply
ok, here are some photos. Hope they make sense and helpful

1. Half inch ballcock system.jpg 2. Brass system with parts.jpg 3. Brass piston system part sizes using coins.jpg 4. Standard half inch plastic piston.jpg 5. Brass pistonand three quarter size rubber washer.jpg 6. Rubber washers of half inch and brass piston (three quarter inch).jpg
1. Half inch ballcock system.jpg
2. Brass system with parts.jpg
3. Brass piston system part sizes using coins.jpg
4. Standard half inch plastic piston.jpg
5. Brass pistonand three quarter size rubber washer.jpg
6. Rubber washers of half inch and brass piston (three quarter inch).jpg
2. Brass system with parts.jpg
3. Brass piston system part sizes using coins.jpg
4. Standard half inch plastic piston.jpg
5. Brass pistonand three quarter size rubber washer.jpg
6. Rubber washers of half inch and brass piston (three quarter inch).jpg

JohnD - Only thing I noticed is that I've lost the captions to each of the photos :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Although you can get odd sizes of washers from a plumbers merchant, in your position, I think I'd just buy a new valve and fit it. Much quicker.

it is supplied from the watermain, which affects what you can fit. You need a part 2.

Can you undo the big brass nut holding the valve onto its stem? If you can, a new valve will probably fix straight on. But to avoid risk of cracking the cistern, it might be safer to remove the bottom-entry stem where it enters through the bottom of the cistern.

A new ballcock only costs a few pounds, and some of the modern ones are very quiet.

Photos of the whole ballcock, and its dimensions, will help.

This is a good one, if it fits
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-float-valve-part-2/27627
Observe the big brass nut holding the working parts to the stem.

Everyone is telling me to get a new ballcock which I know is under a tenner. But I'd like to know the sizes of the bras system I have and what are the size parts to search for. Put it down to having a interest in old stuff, if you like. :)

I found that with the brass system, the inlet water is a lot more than the 1/2" system, which is why I asked about the bore size inlet on the jet. There is a brass size 1/2" ballcock system on sale, but I think the inlet water flow would be the same as the 1/2" system I currently have. Would that be a probem if the system is hooked up for a bigger inflow of water ?

By the way, when both of these were working and it still is, the outlet is always way above the water line.

Last edited:
but this more modern bottom-entry Fluidmaster (with brass stem to avoid cross-threading damage) would replace the whole thing. It is easily adjustable for height, and very quiet.

I agree about the noise. But the one big difference is that the force of the flush on these ballcock system is a lot stronger than the weak flush whicn is almost like a gentle water flow in a modern system.

Ok. But I beg to defer as both different system having the same amount of water in the cistern gives very different flush force. But anyway, before I pop into a plumber supplies shop to show them the parts I am looking for, one other question.

I have changed the parts on the standard 1/2" ballcock sytem (first photo that I sent), - the piston itself is new and it's with a new rubber washer, a new inlet valve jet, a new fiber washer that goes between the ballcock and the mains water inlet pipe. But it still drip ever so slightly. I had expected there will be no drips at all when all the parts are replaced. Why is there still a drip and how can this be fixed apart from getting a new ballcock system or other system ? What is causing the drip ?

Ok. But I beg to defer as both different system having the same amount of water in the cistern gives very different flush force. But anyway, before I pop into a plumber supplies shop to show them the parts I am looking for, one other question.

I have changed the parts on the standard 1/2" ballcock sytem (first photo that I sent), - the piston itself is new and it's with a new rubber washer, a new inlet valve jet, a new fiber washer that goes between the ballcock and the mains water inlet pipe. But it still drip ever so slightly. I had expected there will be no drips at all when all the parts are replaced. Why is there still a drip and how can this be fixed apart from getting a new ballcock system or other system ? What is causing the drip ?

The method of filling has nothing to do with the flush. You can beg all you like.

I am not talking about the method it fills. It's the method it flushes. Have you seen both system how they flush ? Problably not, I wager !

ok, I am not here to argue who is right and who is wrong. I am here for answers to my questions. So far you have asked me to send photos and you asked for measurements. But you have not given me any answers to my questions but just asked me to fit a new system.

I did not come here to get advise on which system I need to change to or it's advantages or disadvantages. I get enough of that. I don't have to come here to ask if I should fit a new system, only answers to my questions which you seem not able to answer. So what is your deal and why waste time here ?

Last edited:
But the one big difference is that the force of the flush on these ballcock system is a lot stronger than the weak flush whicn is almost like a gentle water flow in a modern system

am not talking about the method it fills. It's the method it flushes.

Why is changing the fill valve going to make any difference to the force of gravity?

You're asking pointless questions that probably don't have an answer

Have you seen both system how they flush ? Problably not, I wager !

In English please?

There really is a certain breed out there that I just can’t understand! There’s a term for it that currently escapes me... entitled? Is that it?

I agree about the noise. But the one big difference is that the force of the flush on these ballcock system is a lot stronger than the weak flush whicn is almost like a gentle water flow in a modern system.
Do you mean different cisterns with different flush mechanisms? Only the flush mechanism affects the "force of the flush". As others have said, the filling arrangement clearly doesn't affect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back