How to improve airflow and sort valley condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with airflow in my roof and I want to sort out the issue with condensation in the new valley.

I know I need more loft insulation added in, but I want to get ventilation right while I can.

Roof Ventilation.jpg

Am seeing condensation issues in the new front valley. Despite dry ridge fitted and breathable membrane added to improve airflow in this area (done when new valley fitted).

IMG_20201127_112611644.jpg

I have just realised that I have fitted Eurosoffit soffit boards, which are to be used on roof pitches up to 15˚. Now not sure how much use they are in terms of ventilation.

IMG_20201128_092024274.jpg

Either way, I need more ventilation, the question is how much, what type and where do I add it?

I can see there are ways to calculate mm2 of airflow, I think I have this right...

Roof pitch is 30˚

Main Roof (Ridge 7 meters long X roof space 7 meters wide)
So 7m x 1000 = 7,000mm long roof. So 7,000mm x 10mm = 70,000mm2 airflow required.

The Extension (Ridge 5 meters long X roof space 4 meters wide)
So 5m x 1000 = 5,000mm long roof. So 5,000mm x 10mm = 50,000mm2 airflow required.

Vented soffits fitted as follows:
Approx 5 meters in total on the main roof
Approx 6 meters in total on the extension

ASSUMPTIONS:

If I assume these Eurosoffit vents give 10,000mm2/m (this is not documented on supplier website so I am guessing here) this would mean:

Main Roof 70,000mm2 airflow required
Approx 5 meters of soffit fitted so 50,000mm2 provided by the soffit in area.
Additional 20,000mm2 airflow required

The Extension 50,000mm2 airflow required
Approx 5 meters of soffit fitted so 60,000mm2 provided by the soffit in area.
No additional airflow required

Are my assumptions/calculations correct? Have I got this all wrong?

Do you think/know if the soffit used would provide 10,000mm2/m airflow?

What would you add to provide better ventilation, am assuming tile vents in the immediate area as the condensation is quite bad? Lap vents elsewhere to beef them up?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
UPDATE: Have installed roof tile vents at front of house either side of apex and this seems to have sorted the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back