Roof vents - Should there be holes in the felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm having condensation issues in the loft. So I've been up there to investigate.

When I had the roof done they installed some tile vents. The ones that protrude out from the actual roof tiles.

I noticed they have cut a rectangular hole through the felt in the 3 locations that the vents are installed.

Whilst reading about general ventilation I came across an article that there should not be any holes in the felt as the roof could blow off and water could come in.

The roof is about 12 years old and so far no water and no blow off's but I'm a bit concerned that I should get this fixed?

Initially I thought it was fine as this would increase airflow in the roof space and help with the ventilation. So I was just planning to fit soffit vents and hope that would cure the problem.

But upon further reading, I fear I may have bigger problems!

Sponsored Links
If you think about it, how are the vents supposed to vent the loft if there are no holes cut through the felt?

Thats what I thought woody!

But then I read around and saw the youtube clip from this website (http://www.lapvent.co.uk/) saying its really dangerous to have the holes in the felt as the roof could blow off!

So I take it I'm safe? I'm thinking of installing some soffit vents to help push the warm moist air upwards towards where the tile vents are and hopefully get rid of it. The condensation is only occurring near the eaves. Its fine everywhere else..

Edit - Back pressure. Thats the word he used. Back pressure will lift the roof off, very dangerous to have gaps in the roof felt... And he said its against building regs

Sponsored Links
Thats what I thought woody!

But then I read around and saw the youtube clip from this website (http://www.lapvent.co.uk/) saying its really dangerous to have the holes in the felt as the roof could blow off!

Edit - Back pressure. Thats the word he used. Back pressure will lift the roof off, very dangerous to have gaps in the roof felt... And he said its against building regs

Vents both low and high to encourage air circulation.

You are being fed garbage by either someone who is clueless, and/or nonsense misleading advertising literature.

Seems the guy from lapvent is lying to sell his super inventive loft vent then.

He came across as very convincing! Must just want to sell his vent to people like me who have got holes in their felt!

Cheers chaps

for the record any diyer can make their own devices to vent their lofts FOC.. you dont need to buy anything. simply slip something such as an offcut of batten or waste pipe into accessible laps to vent the loft space by natural tile blowby, this does even work with slate. save your cash an try it.

sorry no youtube clip to sell it to you...

Hi All,

I'm having condensation issues in the loft. So I've been up there to investigate.

When I had the roof done they installed some tile vents. The ones that protrude out from the actual roof tiles.

I noticed they have cut a rectangular hole through the felt in the 3 locations that the vents are installed.

Whilst reading about general ventilation I came across an article that there should not be any holes in the felt as the roof could blow off and water could come in.

The roof is about 12 years old and so far no water and no blow off's but I'm a bit concerned that I should get this fixed?

Initially I thought it was fine as this would increase airflow in the roof space and help with the ventilation. So I was just planning to fit soffit vents and hope that would cure the problem.

But upon further reading, I fear I may have bigger problems!
Hi yes you definatly need them holes in your felt,is the felt old we use breathable felts now and still get ask to put these vents in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back