how to insulate roof for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this my first post on this forum,
I am after a bit advice , i am doing my first loft conversion and need some advise -
The roof is tiled with a breathable membrane and the gap between each baton is 450mm and a depth of 80mm.

Here are my options-

1)I could get the thin foil stuff from screw fix and spread it across the length of the roof ,staple gun it to batons then plaster board over the top and i will have my 50 mm gap between foil and membrane.

2)I could buy some insulation boards 50mm thick then slide them between the batons , then i would only have 30mm air gap (but would this matter) then plasterboard on top.

The foil stuff is cheaper and i would prefer to use that but would it have the same heating properties as the thicker boards ( the info leaflets say it will)

it would be great if i could have some feed back as don't want to make the mistake because the wife likes her heat!!!!!

many thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
I am after a bit advice , i am doing my first loft conversion and need some advise -
The roof is tiled with a breathable membrane and the gap between each baton is 450mm and a depth of 80mm.

Here are my options-

1)I could get the thin foil stuff from screw fix and spread it across the length of the roof ,staple gun it to batons then plaster board over the top and i will have my 50 mm gap between foil and membrane.

2)I could buy some insulation boards 50mm thick then slide them between the batons , then i would only have 30mm air gap (but would this matter) then plasterboard on top.

The foil stuff is cheaper and i would prefer to use that but would it have the same heating properties as the thicker boards ( the info leaflets say it will)

it would be great if i could have some feed back as don't want to make the mistake because the wife likes her heat!!!!!

many thanks
Dan

just do what is in your specification.

if you dont have one... i can only suggest that you do what is easiest and cheapest....

Here are my options-

many thanks
Dan

just do what is in your specification.

if you dont have one... i can only suggest that you do what is easiest and cheapest....

The question I was wanting answered was is the thinner foil the same as the 50mm board insulation ?
Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
is the thinner foil the same as the 50mm board insulation ?

Very controversial subject. Most BCO's do not accept the values given in the literature and no national testing authority has verified/accepted what they claim. Their tests often give results 70% worse.

That apart, you are not proposing- as far as I can see - to fit it as they require, which is with a 25 mm air-gap each side of the foil.

2) IMO will give a much better result and I don't believe the 30 mm gap is problematical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back