How to make a hidden door in Chimney breast?

You could always hinge it from the top and use car tailgate type gas struts to hold it up . . .

Sponsored Links
You could always hinge it from the top and use car tailgate type gas struts to hold it up . . .

I have thought about that, it might be the simpler option. but i dont think it would be as cool.

awbcm, the TV is 20KG [not sure yet if that includes the stand], the cupboard is not something I would want to do more than once, so I would like to allow for a future upgrade to a larger TV, which would be heavier. Also with TV's not being the cheapest things in the world I would want to allow for a reasonable safety factor, which is why i guestimated 50kg.

If I get a chance over the weekend I will mock some ideas up and see which would be best.

It seems a very heavy 32” LCD TV

I have presumed that you have a 32” TV due to showing a link to a wall mounting bracket suitable for a TV between 24” and 32”

If you have the TV all ready and it is still in the packaging you may be looking at the packing weight.

Approximate weights of LCD TV with out stands

Samsung

32” 11.6kg package weight 18.4kg
37” 15.2kg package weight 23.5kg
40” 18.2kg package weight 27.0kg

Don’t forget that you can vertically slide the TV to expose your entertainment equipment. All you need is the track and a counter balance = to the weight of the TV etc. With this method the door or the panel the mounting bracket is attached to descent need to be any bigger than the wall bracket its self. Have a look at the link I gave in an earlier reply.

PS
If you are wondering why I am quoting Samsung; well its due to me designing and making a pop-up TV cabinet to house one for a client in sunny London. And is the only info I have readily available to me.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I have come to the conclusion that sliding the TV vertically will be the best solution.

awbcm, can i ask what sort of mechanism you use in your cabinets to raise the TV? I don't want to see a track that extends above the TV on the wall.

I was thinking along the lines of draw sliders, of the type that allow you to fully open a draw. But how could I use these and have everything hidden?/ make the TV stay where it is put. I cant see how counterweights could be used without having the cable exposed above the tv.

It’s a little hard to explain how to conceal the track and the cable plus details of the sliding door gear, so I will do you a drawing in the next couple of days and let you have it via email ( the drawing will not be for public consumption) so I will need your email address.

As long as the counter balance is the same combined weight of the TV + mounting bracket + panel ( which the mounting bracket will need to fixed to ) the TV can be held in any hight.

Thanks, that is very much appreciated, I have sent you my email address via the forum message system.

Thanks, that is very much appreciated, I have sent you my email address via the forum message system.

I have now received 3 emails claming to be your good self, all I can say you have 3 different christen names as well as 3 different email address. Do you think we have member trying to impersonate you?

Mod 11, Im probably being blind but I cant see how to add friends, under invite you seem to need an email address, and i think its for inviting people to join DIYnot, under the friends tab i cant find a way to add anyone, just to view outbound / inbound requests.

edit: Done it now, seems you have to do it by viewing someone else's profile.

awbcm, I only sent you one message through the message system not sure if you got it, but if you did it will have a time stamp of 3:25 PM Sep. 7, 2008, my first name is Scott, and i have a gmail.com address...
edit: I have just added you as a friend, so you should get a friend request.

This is obviously a hot topic, never thought anyone would want to impersonate me! :)

A bit of an update on this.

I have been reviewing some plans (cheers awbcm) and have decided to go with a method that uses Linear actuators, as this removes the need for counterweights, and more importantly from my point of view the space that a counterweight would take up, as well as the hassle of making sure everything was perfectly balanced.

To this end I have an actuator on order to lift & lower the TV, and an actuator to push the assembly out from the wall before the TV is raised. This will allow me to keep the wall flush until I want to raise the TV. I also have a TV bracket on order, so depending on when things arrive I should be able to mock something up reasonably soon.

awbcm, did you get my last email, i got a few email failure reports from your address?

A bit more of an update for anyone that is interested, the TV bracket, and small actuators for pushing the TV & assembly out of the wall have arrived. the TV bracket is very well made but weighs a ton, well ok 8KG's, but the small actuators seems up to the job. Ive now ordered a power supply to run all this, it's a universal laptop power supply which you can change the voltage of. As my actuators run on 24v & 12v respectively, i will take it apart and rig it up so that it automatically switches voltage and connects to the relevant actuators as needed. I have also found a simple IR repeater circuit, so will order the parts for that, then when everything is finished I will actually be able to control all the hidden kit.

Pictures will be forthcoming once i start to put everything together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back