How to paint blown bricks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an internal wall that seems to have been damp at some point in the past and is currently a mix of flaky paint, blown crumbly bricks and soft lime mortar. The wall was once hidden by an under stairs cupboard.

I want to tidy the wall up and was thinking of painting it with masonry paint? Would this be ok on such a wall or is other prep required before i paint?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh, and I'd try to remove as much truly flaky paint as possible beforehand (assuming that this doesn't cause any damage to the crumbly bricks that you've mentioned!)

Sponsored Links
Ray, many thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard of that stuff before. I have removed all of the flaky paint, so I am good there.

Do you happen to know if this stuff would allow the bricks to breath? The wall section in question is internal, so one side is in the hallway and the other is in the kitchen. But it seems that it is an old brick wall that may have once been an external wall dating from the mid 1800's. So I can't be 100% sure if any damp proofing is 100% effective. I did however cover the wall in cling film for a week and no moisture was seen, so I think it is dry..

ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back