Can you paint recently laid brickwork ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my garage wall rebuilt (well one side of it at least)

I now want to paint the inside walls with white (or cream) paint to brighten it up a bit, but was wondering whether I'll have to wait for a while before painting the new wall.

The new wall is a half brick external wall.

If OK to paint, I assume I'll need to use masonry paint, something like Sandtex paint ?

I've just seen that Wilko sell their own branded masonry paint 'Outside Exterior Masonry Paint' .. is that any good ?

Is a PVA sealer coat required too ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
You need to wait for the brickwork to fully set/dry out before painting.

Does the mortar still look dark and 'green'?

PVA is usually asking for trouble, a watered-down coat of masonry paint should seal the brickwork.

I imagine Wilko paint not be great, Sandtex may be a safer option.

PVA is water soluble, so will bubble, come loose and wash off with water.

This may not be ideal for an external wall exposed to rain.

Thin the first one or two coats with water. 50% is not too much at first as the surface of blocks and concrete is very hungry and will suck your brush dry. When the mist coats no longer soak in and disappear, it is ready to paint.

I'd be OK with an own-brand for internal use. I've used their "essentials" paint and it is like water, though. This is normal for cheap rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back