How to power outdoor 12V RGB LED light strips from mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install some 12V LED lights into the wall in my mother's garden. I plan to chisel away the render to allow me to fix frosted acrylic tubes in which I will place several LED strips. I'll then render over the connecting cabling so that the tubes are set in the wall. The main issue is the electrical source. The LED strip lights come with a transformer which plugs into the wall and a controller which plugs into the transformer and responds to a remote control for dimming or changing the hue.

I suppose I have a few options. The simplest but also the least clean would be to have the a cable exit the building through a hole drilled in the wall. The plug would then be placed in a socket. I don't really like this method but there's a good chance I'll end up using it.

Atlernatively, what would be sweet, is to connect the LEDs to the mains, probably via some other transformer (max 50W needed assuming that I don't later want to add more lighting) so they could be switched off via a switch in the kitchen. There is already a lamp fixed to the wall outside with a switch on the inside wall so it wouldn't be too-difficult a task.

How much do you suppose it would cost to have an electrician make the appropriate connections to give me a 12v supply? Would they also need to check the lights before I added render?

Sponsored Links
You could have a socket installed externally that could be isolated from the inside via a 20A isolating switch or a switched fused connection. The isolation would ideally be two pole, so both phase and neutral are disconnected if a fault should occur.
Remember any joints made in the cable cannot be buried and must be easily accessible for inspection and testing.
The installation of electrical equipment such as a socket outlet is notifiable work and would also require RCD protection.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Hi. Thanks for you advice. Have you any idea of what would be a reasonable price to pay to have an external socket fitted?

Also, re: burying of connections, does that mean I would not be allowed to render over the cable between the lights?

Sponsored Links
You can render over the cables but not joints, ideally cable needs to be suitable for external use.
I assume the fittings are all going to be in a horizontal line?
The cost would vary region to region and depend on the route the cable was taking with regards to accessibility and cable length.
If the circuit has no RCD protection that would also be required as would a double pole isolating switch.
If your existing installation does not have RCD protection a 13A 30mA RCD fused connection (£25) could be used, to take a spur from the socket circuit, this could then supply a conveniently located internal isolation switch (£5). Then feed to your load side from the switch to external socket (£20-25).
Lots of variables to give an exact amount.
Cable and sundries(£10)
I would say material cost of about £60-70.
Then £100 for labour and certification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back