LED transformers

One point. It may be possible to switch the led transformers. But an earth wire needs to be used. Is this allowed? The bare wire can have a red sheath over it.
Are you talking about switching the 230V input to the 'transformers'? If so, no, you must not do as you suggest. Apart from anything else, it would mean that one of the live conductors in the cable would not have the required 'insulation and sleeving' (which some, theoretically incorrectly, call 'double insulation') - you could, as you say, put red sleeving over the exposed ends, but that would leave the entire length of the conductor within the cable 'bare'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
JohnW2, so a no, no? But even if the earth wire is a 12V neutral?

Sponsored Links
John, I am on about using it as 12v.
I'm getting confused. Since you used the plural word "transformers", I thought you were talking about reverting to using two 'transformers' (one permanently connected to each light) and switching the 230V inputs to those two 'transformers'.

Could you therefore please clarify exactly what you are now proposing/talking about and asking (about use of the bare earth conductor)? Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think it's the same for CV drivers, but if you switch the load side of a CC driver, it will blow up whatever is on the end of it each and every time.
Indeed. Unless it has built in safeguards to prevent this problem (i.e. reducing output voltage to near zero if the load impedance is greater than some certain value - including 'no load at all), then connecting a load to an already-powered-up constant-current source carries risk of destroying the load which you describe, and for the reasons you describe.

Fortunately, we are talking about a constant-voltage driver in this thread, in which case there are no such concerns.

Kind Regards, John

John, I can use two permanently on, or a number switched, but the earth wire will need to be 12v when switched.

John, I can use two permanently on, or a number switched, but the earth wire will need to be 12v when switched.
Sorry, I still don't really understand.

If you were still considering having a 'transformer' permanently on, there's no reason why you would need two of them, but I still don't really understand what you mean by "the earth wire will need to be 12v when switched". Could you perhaps draw a diagram of what you're talking about, and posting it here?

Kind Regards, John

John, the two transformers were for two different LED strips in one room, but one could be used. But, the transformer would be unswitched and always on. The two LED strips can have their own transformers and be switched, but and earth wire in a T&E cable would need to be used on the 12v side.

John, the two transformers were for two different LED strips in one room, but one could be used. But, the transformer would be unswitched and always on.
Indeed - that was the point I made.
The two LED strips can have their own transformers and be switched, but and earth wire in a T&E cable would need to be used on the 12v side.
This is the bit that I don't fully understand. If they had their own transformers, the 2-gang switch would be switching the 230V supply to each of the transformers, each of which would, in turn, be connected, unswitched (each requiring just a 2-core cable) to the respective light.

Are you perhaps saying that there is currently just one T&E cable supplying both lights, and that you want to use that same cable to supply the two lights separately?

Kind Regards, John

The transformers are not in the the rooms the LEDs are in.
Maybe, but I still don't really understand what you are saying - as I said before, a diagram would be invaluable.

In case you haven't noticed, since he got locked out of this thread, BAS has started a new one - so you need to keep your eyes on both!

Kind Regards, John

John, the two transformers were for two different LED strips in one room, but one could be used. But, the transformer would be unswitched and always on. The two LED strips can have their own transformers and be switched, but and earth wire in a T&E cable would need to be used on the 12v side.
There are three ways to use extra low voltage (12 volt) separated, protective, and functional. With latter FELV you can decide if to use an earth or not, but with protective (PELV) you have to use an earth and with separated (SELV) you not permitted to use an earth. With most ELV systems they are SELV so you can't use an earth. Since any unused wire in a low voltage system should be earthed it does present a problem where LV and ELV are mixed, in the main we don't use twin and earth for ELV.

A 12 volt strip light one would expect to be DC however it does not need to be supplied with ripple free DC it can be fed with a rectified supply directly from the transformer used to drop the voltage so the wave form could look like this
waveform-1.jpg
or it could look a lot worse with a full off period in the mark/space controlled output. The LED is a current device and it can handle a set amount of power before overheating, but as long as the RMS voltage is kept to 12 volt having 16 volt spikes does not really matter.

This means a cheap LED power supply be it either AC, or DC voltage regulated or current regulated can still cause RF interference. I note some do state interference free, which would hardly need stating if others were not interference free.

The problem is to find which are OK and which are not you need to read the data sheet, it is often not mentioned on the sales advert, so many once you read the data sheet limit the cable length to 2 or 3 meters which also includes the length of the strip. It really does not matter what label is on the device, transformer, driver, power supply, or electronic transformer until one reads the data sheet one can't really say, OK with some you can see it is a simple wire wound transformer so you know not really a RF problem, but even if you can see capacitors inside it does not mean it is a smooth output.

So some thing looking like this
51DVAjkeoSL._AC_UL130_.jpg
is likely OK designed to work from zero output and with a smooth output, but with these bricks
mJDeUoxt2uPlUjU5848vwNA.jpg
when it says for LED lighting you really don't have a clue without a lot of reading which can have long output leads and which can't. In the main the strip LED lighting is only for decoration, often with a lumen per watt output little better than a tungsten lamp, 20 lumen per watt is common.
Thanks for that! I thought my led strip light was flickering but wasn't certain. This gives a possible reason for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back