Wiring LED Strip to Light Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Chaps,

Hopefully just a confirmation of sorts...looking at wiring a 4m length of led strip lighting to a 2gang light switch.

The strip itself is fixed in to a channel at the back of a oak beam and I've mounted the transformer out of sight, but accessible.

Something like this

Am I right in thinking its a case of choc-blocking the LED strip to the transformer and then running some 1mm2 T&E back to the J/B and 1 core from the J/B to the switch (power to the LED switch will be taken from the other switch drop on the 2-gang.

Sponsored Links
That is not a transformer, it is a power supply as it says on the unit. LED Hut are ignorant.

With your suggested wiring where is the neutral to the J/B?

Ah ok, in that case what do I need to swap it out for?

Heres a very quick and dirty drawing!

Attachments

• led.jpeg
    led.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 400
Sponsored Links
The thing is, it is clear from your diagram that those wires can't be neutral, and N does not stand for blue, or black.

You could have labelled the wires in your diagram anything you like -

upload_2018-12-1_23-6-49.png

and it would still have worked when connected as drawn.

But events verging on catastrophic can occur if you assume that blue/black wires are all neutrals, so calling them that is a Bad Idea.

Also be aware that 12 volt DC (eff) can be 24 volts switched on and off to produce an average ( effective ) voltage of 12 volts. LED elements may be adversely affected by the 24 volts leading to early failure of the LED elements. Some SMPS units rated as 12 volt (eff) have been found to produce 36 volt pulses but the average was about 12 volts.
Also be aware that if LEDhut are selling something which they say is suitable for 12V LED strips it's probably not going to damage them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back