Dimmer for LED strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to put a dimmer switch across 3 x 5m lengths of LED strip. The electrical shop sold me a dimmer, some LED strip and a transformer that should work together to achieve it. I plan to wire a plug into the dimmer, then from the dimmer to the transformer.

I want to check the correct way to wire this. Will I put the live from the mains into Common, the neutral from the plug into L1, then the live that goes to the transformer into L2 and the neutral to the transformer also into L1?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you do that then the switch will be a dead short across the mains supply when you switch it ON Big bang in the switch and the fuses will blow

Live from plug into L1 in the switch.
Live to the transformer from COM in the switch

Neutral from plug direct to the transformer neutral and nowhere else.

3 Amp fuse in the plug, not 13 Amp

If you do that then the switch will be a dead short across the mains supply when you switch it ON Big bang in the switch and the fuses will blow

Live from plug into L1 in the switch.
Live to the transformer from COM in the switch

Neutral from plug direct to the transformer neutral and nowhere else.

3 Amp fuse in the plug, not 13 Amp
Really helpful. Many thanks for your expertise. I'll get to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back