Dimmer switch on cabinet lighting

Hey don't be offensive!

I was trying to point out the ambiguity of the wording in the Approved Document, which uses undefined terms and which makes Part P so useless.

Take a fridge or dishwasher a 'brown goods' integrated version usually has a tab which you screw to the underside of the work top, a 'white goods' version just sits under the work top with no attachment. One could be deemed fixed one not, both plug into the same socket both are electrically identical. Hence nonsense.

Same with the lighting a CE marked transformer and lights may come bare or with a mains plug (not the plug and socket connectors which daisy chain the things together). The approved document doesn't mention the mains plug just the connection point.

If I have a table lamp in my kitchen and I stick it down with some Blu-Tac to stop it moving does it become fixed and notifiable?

It is open to interpretation without greater definition of terms, which is what I was pointing out.

Some times a little common sense and pragmatism is required in the application of regulations.

Sponsored Links
I was trying to point out the ambiguity of the wording in the Approved Document, which uses undefined terms
If you think they are undefined then get one of these:

518gTbhqeDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(Other dictionaries are available)

and which makes Part P so useless.
Useless?

There is much about it which makes it useless in practice, but little (if anything) stems from it using normal, common English words without explicitly defining them.

Take a fridge or dishwasher a 'brown goods' integrated version usually has a tab which you screw to the underside of the work top, a 'white goods' version just sits under the work top with no attachment. One could be deemed fixed one not,
One is fixed, the other is not.

both plug into the same socket both are electrically identical. Hence nonsense.
Maybe, but perfectly easy to understand.

Same with the lighting a CE marked transformer and lights may come bare or with a mains plug (not the plug and socket connectors which daisy chain the things together).
If you cut the plug off does the item still comply with the standards which it originally did, and which meant it could carry a CE mark?

The approved document doesn't mention the mains plug just the connection point.
Why not try reading the Building Regulations instead?

If I have a table lamp in my kitchen and I stick it down with some Blu-Tac to stop it moving does it become fixed and notifiable?
Possibly.

Would you be happier to consider things on the basis of whether they are designed to be fixed?

Some times a little common sense and pragmatism is required in the application of regulations.
So why are you abandoning all common sense and claiming that you don't know what "fixed" means?

Just to let you know the cabinets are in the living room and are free standing, not fixed to any structure in the property.

The plugs were not cut off, they were taken off with a screwdriver and the ends fixed to connectors within the switch, the cable was not cut at any time.

Not one to fan the fan the flames of an arguement but thought that you should know.

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know the cabinets are in the living room and are free standing, not fixed to any structure in the property.
But the lights are fixed to them, and presumably are designed to be fixed to something?

But as it's a living room they aren't notifiable in any event.

The plugs were not cut off, they were taken off with a screwdriver and the ends fixed to connectors within the switch, the cable was not cut at any time.
I guess we all assumed that because it's very rare for things to come with rewireable plugs on these days, as fitting them in the factory can't be automated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back