Dimmer switch on cabinet lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed cabinet lighting and want to add a dimmer switch.

there are six lights going to two transformers and each plug into a plug socket. i have removed the plugs and wired to a switch so i only have one plug to plug in and can easily turn lights on and off.

i intend to install dimmer between transformers and switch, i have a 2 way dimmer switch with an L1, L2 and a wavy line connectors.

I'm not sure which connectors to use, my intention is to take the live cables and bypass the dimmer and wire straight to switch and put the neutral through the dimmer, just not to sure which connectors to use on dimmer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First thing before the other bit is answered, do you know if the lamps are definitely dimmable?

my intention is to take the live cables and bypass the dimmer and wire straight to switch and put the neutral through the dimmer, just not to sure which connectors to use on dimmer.

NO!

Don't do anything till you get some advice from a pro.

The neutral will bypass, NOT go thru the dimmer.

PS I assume this is in a kitchen?

In that case you need to notify your local council and give them a large amount of cash before you start work.

or (better) get some help from here: www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
When you say you have removed the plugs and put a switch onto them, how have you done this??? if you have used a double pole switch then the dimmer is basically a single pole device so the neutrals need to be joined in a connector lock and the lives go through the dimmer.

If this is a plug in arrangement then you bypass part P as its not classed as a fixed installation.

Not ideal but still . As others have said the transformers need to be dimmable to start with and you need a 3A fuse in your plug .

some pics will help us to advise further.

Nick

If this is a plug in arrangement then you bypass part P as its not classed as a fixed installation.
1) No, it does not bypass Part P, because the lights are fixed. The fact that they plug in (or used to :rolleyes: ) makes no difference.

2) That they used to plug in made them non-notifiable, but...

i have removed the plugs.
Not any more - now they are notifiable.

No the plugs have been combined into one plug so it is still plug in lighting. so does NOT come under part P as it is not considered a fixed installation by the nature of a plug it is deemed temporary.

FFS.

Are the lights fixed to the cabinets, or are they floating in mid air?

Is a pre-fabricated set with integral plug and socket connections still a pre-fabricated set with integral plug and socket connections if you cut the plugs off?

so does NOT come under part P as it is not considered a fixed installation by the nature of a plug it is deemed temporary.
Why don't you try actually reading the Building Regulations?

Cant be arsed to argue with you as i have far better things to do with my life. Malc follow Ban All Sheds instructions to the letter for he is god (not an electrician at all by the way) Just an enthusiastic amateur, He has been banned from more forums than you can care to name for being about as much help as a chocolate teapot and his ever so helpful attitude is unreal.

If you want real advice from a qualified sparks then i suggest you wait for someone sensible to reply

Nick

Cant be a***d to argue with you as i have far better things to do with my life.
You mean you've just realised that you are wrong.

Malc follow Ban All Sheds instructions to the letter for he is god (not an electrician at all by the way) Just an enthusiastic amateur,
But I see that doesn't stop you, so having got it wrong you're now trying to use an ad hominem fallacy.

Care to advance a logical reason for why being an amateur makes me unable to read?

He has been banned from more forums than you can care to name for being about as much help as a chocolate teapot and his ever so helpful attitude is unreal.
Care to explain why it's helpful to someone to give them totally false advice about what the law requires?

If you want real advice from a qualified sparks then i suggest you wait for someone sensible to reply
So you don't think Taylortwocities is sensible either?

Is your position that only people who share your erroneous beliefs about the Building Regulations are sensible?

Care to show where in the Building Regulations it says that fixed electrical equipment is out of scope if it is plugged in?

Care to explain why the word "temporary" only appears in the Building Regulations when used in the term "temporary buildings"?

Didn't want to start arguments between people but thanks for responses.

I meant to write neutral bypass switch not live. yes it's a double pole switch, transformers are dimmable.

Not go a camera to take pics unfortunately, just wondered what i connect cable from transformers into, l1, L2 or wavy line and what connector to connect cable to switch, L1 L2 or wavy line.

Reading above i may just give some one a call to come and do the work for me, just didn't want to spend money at the moment.

Thanks

With some trepidation and not wanting a row here goes.

Care to show where in the Building Regulations it says that fixed electrical equipment is out of scope if it is plugged in?

From approved document:

k. The installation of prefabricated, "modular"
systems (for example kitchen lighting systems
and armoured garden cabling) linked by plug
and socket connectors is not notifiable,
provided that products are CE-marked and
that any final connections in kitchens and
special locations are made to existing
connection units or points (possibly a 13A
socket out let).

It doesn't say anything about cutting the plug off, just that you have to connect it to an existing connection unit or point

I can't find anywhere where fixed equipment is defined in the document. Cabinet lighting is fixed to wall cabinets not to the walls, the cabinets hang on brackets and are not permanently fixed to the wall, so how do you define fixed equipment? Just more Part P nonsense :mad:

With some trepidation and not wanting a row here goes.

From approved document:
:rolleyes:

It doesn't say anything about cutting the plug off, just that you have to connect it to an existing connection unit or point
The whole point of pre-fabricated items with integral plug and socket connections is that they are tested and certified as an integral unit.

If you cut the plugs off they are no longer the same, and no longer certified, and no longer exempt from notification.

I can't find anywhere where fixed equipment is defined in the document.
So is there something wrong with your grasp of plain, everyday, common sense, as-in-the-dictionary, bl**din' obvious English meanings of words?

Cabinet lighting is fixed to wall cabinets not to the walls,
That will be fixed then.

the cabinets hang on brackets and are not permanently fixed to the wall,
You could argue that way that nothing is permanently fixed to anything if screws/bolts/nails/etc are used.

Stop looking for some kind of special meaning. "Fixed" is a simple word, and it should be simple enough to grasp the plain, everyday, common sense, as-in-the-dictionary, bl**din' obvious English meaning of it.

so how do you define fixed equipment?
Something which is fixed in place. If those lights are nailed/screwed/glued to the kitchen cabinets then they are fixed - see the plain, everyday, common sense, as-in-the-dictionary, bl**din' obvious English meaning of the word.

If they somehow levitate in mid air then they are not fixed.

If they dangle from a cable which is fixed then the cable comes within the scope of Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back