how to prevent a tube of silicon sealent from hardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a look through the threads and can't see any tips/hints on how to prevent an open tube of silicon sealant from hardening. Does anyone have a foolproof method?

Sponsored Links
Some come with a screw on cap now, or you can screw a screw into the open end/ wrap cling film over it etc, but they will eventually harden whatever you do

There has got to be a market for someone selling a pack of caps to fit the thread, the makers will not do it 'cos they sell more, anyone for Dragons den?

footprints

Sponsored Links
I can only find packs of 3 nozzles @ 98p on line, have you seen caps in store?

Regards,
footprints

yes, I had a look when I was buying my last silicon tube. We only need a little bit for a repair but need some next month. So, I was trying to save some money. B&Q sell a small pack of silicon but not sure about the eveness of using this. Do you have a good method of getting a smooth finish to your sealant?

Thanks I will have a look next time I am in there.

Regarding finishing here is a copy of a previous post I made on the subject.

I's worth taking the tap heads off if you can it will help a bit.

The only special tool that I have found is a finger! OK you are supposed to keep it off your hands but if you have used it before and had no reaction it's up to you wether you get it on your hands, you might try it using very tight fitting disposable gloves, you may get a fair finish but I find bare hands best.

Clean throughly, I use methylated spirits, mask with a good quality masking tape. Fill The bath about 2 thirds full of water.

Smooth bead with a wet finger, wipe surplus off finger each time you come off the silicone when it looks fairly good remove the tape and give a final wipe over with a wet finger and light pressure, keep finger clean of silicone build up. Adding a tiny drop of washing up liquid to the water you dip your finger in will aid smoothing. Big wipes or similar hand cleaner wipes will clean up silicone from you or anywhere else it gets!

If it looks 99% right just leave it. you will only mess up if you keep phaffing around with it! Leave the water in the bath overnight.

There are lots of gismos around that claim to give a perfect finish but most fail because of the grout lines where the tiles meet causing them to "jump", or you find a fine film has been left beside the bead that discolours in time and starts to peel off.

Hope it helps,
footprints

I've had a look through the threads and can't see any tips/hints on how to prevent an open tube of silicon sealant from hardening. Does anyone have a foolproof method?

With all cartridges (caulk, silicone, etc), I screw an appropriate sized screw quite tightly into the opened nozzle after I've finished using it, to prevent air getting in.

The issue I can see with the caps which fit the tube not the nozzle, is that the nozzle will still be full of stuff so you will have a messy job cleaning it out for storage. The nozzle caps don't stop the nozzle drying out for long mind you.

The issue I can see with the caps which fit the tube not the nozzle, is that the nozzle will still be full of stuff so you will have a messy job cleaning it out for storage. The nozzle caps don't stop the nozzle drying out for long mind you.

No. But screws do, and even if they get clarted up with the substance whilst preventing air getting in, they can still be removed with mole grips, pliers etc., and they will have done their job!

If the nozzle is full of set silicone, caulk, etc, I have resorted to unscrewing the nozzle, poking out the contents with a skewer through the hole at the end before replacing the nozzle,to allow a better flow.

I really need to get out more.

:D I have thrown out too many tubes of silicone that I haven't finished and asked for advice at EVERY hardware store I stumbled upon. Most gave me the same answer. However, I am an artist and have a strong science background and it got me to sit down and think. I reasoned that soft modeling clay could be molded to fit in the tip of the nozzle with the rest of the wad pressed to make an airtight seal around it. I then wrapped duct tape around it all and tied it with a pipe cleaner (you can use any rubber band or twist tie) to prevent the duct tape from opening, just as a precaution.

You don't need nails, screws, pliers or anything else.

After over a month, I opened the seal. A tiny amount of hardened sealant came out after the clay but the rest was fresh and good to go. ;) [/img]

I bought a pack of nozzles from B&Q. Unibond nozzles i think they were.

I had a Wurth decorators caulk cartridge
I also had a Dow Corning silicone sealant cartridge.

Used the Wurth one, binned the nozzle, put the new one i'd bought on, came to use it some time later, no problem, new nozzle on ready for next time.

The dow corning one though - used that, binned the nozzle, put one of the new ones on, came to use it the other day & the nozzle was part off & the sealant had hardened at the top of the tube.

When i went to tighten it up it just kept tightening & then got to a point where it'd just come off. It'd never properly tighten up.

I thought they'd all be the same size. Obviously not.

I normally take off the cap and put it somewhere to dry, then put a little tape/clingfilm over the cartridge and put a spare cap on. Next time I need the tube, I'll just pull one big easy piece of dried silicon out of the cap, and re-use it.

I always seal the end with masking tape. After a week or so remove tape & its ok, if it has set, I remove the nozzle & push the hardened lump out with a screwdriver.
It works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back