Unibond £10 Sealant load of rubbish!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed a bit of mould on my bath sealent which i applied about 8 months ago. I decided to remove it last night, and was shocked at the extent of the mould. I always shower down the sealent after a bath and dry it with a sponge to try and prevent the mould.

This Unibond sealant was expensive, about £10 a tube, promised it would remain mould free for a few years. I've looked after the bathroom, regularly clean it and still the mould grows.

I'm going to reseal using silicone sealent but am staying well away from Unibullsh!t

Can someone recommend a sealent that wont go mouldy after a week?

Sponsored Links
That's unusual.
Send them a mouldy section of it, with a bill for cutting it all out and resealing.
I've not had mould with any make/type which claims to be extra good at mould resistance, only the general purpose ones.

Is it some strange bacteria from (cast) Iron Naz` Nads :idea:

Sponsored Links
As kevin says always use dow corning sanitary silicone,its been around for years it wont let you down

These new ultra funky "SEALANTS" and hugely inflated prices are not a tried and tested product like Dow Corning 785 sanitary silicone this is pretty much industry standard

Cut all the original crap out then clean up the whole area with anti-bacterial spray let it all dry out and then reseal the whole lot ,then you will have the professional job you should have done in the beginning!

daft question if it moldy more below the sealent then surly the mold has come from else where

Maybe naz was using something diseased to smooth it off last time :eek:

1: remove all old silicone sealant, easier said than done, special tools are available though.

2: Spray infected area with Dettol Anti- bacterial Mould & Mildew Remover, available at super markets in green spray bottle and my van. Important allow to dry naturally do not smear mildew, if in hurry use hair drier.

3: When ALL mildew has been removed apply sealant of your choice, I have tried many but still go back to Dow Corning 875 and it’s not that expensive < £ 10.00.

Consider for internal bathrooms and around the house Dettol Anti- bacterial Mould & Mildew Remover as a general fungal spray.

Consider for hard water areas, OzKleen Bath Power for lime scale on shower screens and fittings (spray on wash off, no scrubbing). Available at super markets in spray bottle and my van, a little more expensive compared to other products so in my book it’s a reasonable cost as it works, read bottle blurb. If lime scale is really bad may take a couple of bottles to start with.

Happy caulking.

Thanks for the tips guys, will pop out and buy that sealant! I usually use "Whizz mould and mildew remover". Its a fantastic product and from my experience beats Dettox or any other cleaners. Plus its only £1 a bottle!

As for using diseased bits, dont worry i'm disease free! havent been poking things i shouldnt have, however for smoothing sealant, its better then your finger :oops:

All the bathrooms with mold that I have ever seen have been those with inadequate ventilation.

Do you have proper ventilation?

Hows that S-D boiler?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back