How to prevent condensation on ring beam

Reaction score
Country
Spain
We have a villa in spain. It is of typical Spanish construction from the 1970s having a concrete foundation on which there is a hollow block wall which in turn supports a row of U blocks in to which have been cast a ring beam. On the ring beam are concrete joists and with lightweight infill slabs and the rest of the house is built on that.

The problem I am having is that the ringbeam attracts a great deal of condensation even though I have a generous number of airbricks to the underbuild which in itself is about 5 feet high. On some days the condensation also is seen dripping from the concrete beams close to where they rest on the ringbeam. In colder weather the U blocks are very wet compared with the regular hollow blocks above and below - I assume as there is no insulation between them and the outside wall which is above ground at that point this forms a cold spot which casues the condensation.

Is there any point in trying to insulate the ringbeam and floor beams - or is there anything else I can do to reduce the condensation??

Sponsored Links
Is this condensation forming inside the property? Is it cold inside?

Is this condensation forming inside the property? Is it cold inside?

The condensation is on the inside in the underbuild - is the space under the floor- Outside temp about 7 at night and 19 in the day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back