Loft Conversion Transverse Beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a purlin type loft in a 70s EOT. The walls (concrete block) below are either supported with an I beam or run right down to a concrete slab covering the whole building ground. It is a reinforced slab on which sits five properties. Mine is an end property.

In the loft there is a central long beam (225 x 50) at floor level (sitting on 100 x 50 ceiling joists) running between the side/party walls and sitting on supporting walls. Similar beams run under the purlins. This central beam supports a vertical member up to the ridge. Mid point in the roof space at mid height ties resting/fixed on the purlins and bolted to the vertical. Also the purlins are braced/angled down to another cross member (100 x 50) at floor level nailed to the beams. I guess the height of the ceiling joists and the central beam amounts to 300mm which would be nice to reduce to help with height. Maybe not as it would mean cutting down the central beam.

Two other braces go across equidistant between the end walls and central beam but no verticals presumably to stop roof spread.

Some time back I raised my water tank and added another (150 gallons) and these are on a platform resting on the central long member with ties across to the purlins. No sag is evident and at this point the wall below supports (which sits on an I beam slung across lower supporting walls). I have a hell of a lot of stuff in the loft as well. Lot of weight. It is a concrete tile roof with 100 x 50 rafters. There will be a wall for the room dividing the it from the landing with a door.

How would the vertical/ties/braces(?) in the space (between the purlins) be removed? I am not having dormers just three roof lights which I know how to support and install. I am DIY (after plans approved) and would want to use timber only.

Many thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back