How to raise a concrete floor by 50mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am building an extension and where the new floor meets the old there is a 50mm height difference. The new floor is Hardcore -->concrete slab-->100mm celotex-->75mm concrete subfloor.
i know i should have poured the subfloor to within a few mm and then used self levelling compound, but i didn't!

A bit of research suggests that a screed would be best, but i know that it won't be something i will be good at!
Would a simple concrete mix work? What is the advantage of a screed?
The floor will be covered in slate tiles once its all done.
Thanks for you help
James

Sponsored Links
you are correct about a screed.like anything taking 1s time can produce a good job.
look on youtube for videos on how to lay a screed and see whether this is something you would want to attack.

You could use ta level flex screed. Easy to use and can go up to 50mm.
Won't be cheap though.

Hmm just googled that stuff, 40 bags @£18 a bag.... Not sure that's a goer!
I guess my question is, will a concrete mix work, even if it is not the preferred method?
I've also read something about grano mix, does any one have any experience with that?
Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
OP,

Are you saying that you have poured two concrete slabs?

Do you have a membrane (DPM) in position?

Slurry the surface with sand and cement at 1:1 mix. Allow to dry.
Then slurry a workable area and allow to go tacky.
Hand mix a semi-dry S&C mix at 4:1.
Using the semi-dry sand & cement mix, lay your 50mm screed on the tacky area.

AAMOI: modern practice is to pour & finish the slab at the height required for the floor covering to meet the FFL - no screed.

Hi,
I have one proper slab - 150mm w. steel mesh, then some sand blinding, then the DPM, then 100mm of celotex. I then should have poured the remaining 130mm upto FFL, but i didn't - don't ask me why! I am now 50mm short of FFL.

I suppose all i would like to know, is not whether a screed is best (i realise it is) but would a concrete mix work; are there any problems i would run into if i just mixed up some and poured it in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back