How to re-hang heavy shower door in damaged wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came home to find my shower door has fallen off the wall. As you can see in the pictures it is a heavy glass door, and the wall is made of small tiles on plasterboard. It has to go back in the same place as before as it only just fits in under the sloping ceiling, but I'm not sure how to secure it in the same place where the big pulled-out holes are now..

How can I secure the door back in the same position so it will not fall again? Is there some strong filler material that I can fill the holes with and then redrill? What kind of plugs/screws should I use to get the strongest possible hold?

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks, much appreciated!

One thing I'm still not sure about though: Should I fill the ragged pulled-out holes first then drill new ones through the filler? Or just squirt resin in the ragged holes and put wall plugs in directly?

I.e. Right now I am thinking to do something like this:

1. fill in the ragged pulled-out holes with some kind of polyfilla,

2. Redrill holes of the right size in the same place.

3. Squirt some strong chemical resin in these new holes,

4. Hammer in good plugs i.e. fisher wall plugs

5. Wait for resin to dry (??)

6. Screw in the door hinges to the plugs (with hinges detached from the door? + with more resin between the hinge plate and the wall?)

7. Reattach door to the hinges(?)

... That sound roughly right?

Sponsored Links
Don't see how you can fill the holes as resin would just run away in the cavity.
A proper fix would be to remove tiles and plasterboard and install timber then re-instate wall and tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back