Broken lock on upvc external door - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The handle lock on my front door is broken. The hole that the spindle goes through has cracked and fallen inside the door. The door is in a locked position. I cannot remove the door via the hinges as they are screwed securely from inside the frame.

How do I get the door open?
Do I replace the whole door and frame, if so , how do i take the thing out?

A upvc company has quoted £180 for a new lock but I cant see how they will open the door in the first place to remove the old lock? :D

Sponsored Links
jameswhelan said:
I cant see how they will open the door in the first place to remove the old lock? :D

not your problem how they do it, but try "good old yellow pages" look for locksmith

Removing the old lock is easy but cannot be posted for security reasons.

New euro cylinder around £7 and with fitting and removing the old lock I think £30 would be a fair price.

Crooks would charge £180

jameswhelan said:
A upvc company has quoted £180 for a new lock but I cant see how they will open the door in the first place to remove the old lock? :D

save up another £250 and have a whole new door and frame.

Sponsored Links
BrynRovers said:
Removing the old lock is easy but cannot be posted for security reasons.

New euro cylinder around £7 and with fitting and removing the old lock I think £30 would be a fair price.

Crooks would charge £180

No-one will open a door, then supply and fit a Euro cylinder for £30 - not if they want to stay in business!

It's not the Euro cylinder that's broken though - its the multipoint mechanism. Price is going to be dependant upon availability, and the time taken to open the door and remove/fit new strip. I'd say £100-£140 should be your budget if getting someone to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back