how to remove air from radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am a novice and from a different country which does not require rads (radiators). I just had one of my radiators changed and notice that the bottom is hot but the top is still cold. Going thru all your topics I understand that it is just air trapped in the radiator. I also understand that i need to safely let go of the air from the 2 vents on the top of the radiator. This particular rad has the vent at the top and behind - meaning I am unable to use my baby wrench due to the shortage of space(space between vent and wall is less than an inch I think). Now is there any tool like say a lil key that i can buy? If so what is it called and where can i purchase it?

I live in a rented accomodation so wouldnt want to risk removing the rad completely as Im quite a novice...

Sponsored Links
A very cheap and simple radiator valve key can be bought from most hardware stores. Follow the link for an example.
here

Use this in the release valve at the top of the rad. Release the air slowly and have an old rag handy because as the air is fully expelled you will get the heating circuits water. Beware that this can be very hot.

Also do it with the heating off. You only have to unscrew the valve a small amount until you hear the air hissing out - don't unscrew it completely.

Hi All,
Thank you so much for your help and advice. I finally purchased the rad-key and managed to remove the excess air on top of the rad. Finally its working perfectly fine.

I don't know what I would have done without your help and this site is damn good. too good actually. I have been contemplating about calling back the plumber which would have cost me a lot.

Many Thanks again for your help and advice.

Best Regards
Harry

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You mentioned that you come from another country and that you live in rented accommodation. Do you know that it is your landlord's duty to maintain the accommodation you live in? So any plumbers bills should be paid by your landlord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back