How to remove base of freestanding tap please?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a free standing tap in our bathroom which we need to replace. To see what replacement taps will work we have to remove the base which is shown in the photo covering the tiles. We've unscrewed it from the floor, however we have no idea how to do this and the manual that came with tap is for a different tap! Any ideas would be gladly received! Thanks.
image1.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is still a screw showing at the back. Have you removed it?

There is still a screw showing at the back. Have you removed it?
Screw removed and the plate lifted like magic, thanks again denso13!

I've attached a picture of the hole beneath the tap through which the hot and cold inlets run, along with a copy of the instruction manual for a new tap we like. I want to ask, do those of you who know about plumbing whether you think that installing this will be a relatively straightforward job and if not why? It's the bit about installing the "support battening" "to take the weight of the fixings" in the manual which puzzles us and I'm also not sure how easy it will be to make that hole bigger, or indeed if that's needed.
IMG-6908.jpg

image.png

Sponsored Links
Looks like you're going to have fun with that. Without actually seeing the base fitting itself and just looking at the MI, it looks like the floor mounting has side inlets, i.e. the supplies fit into the side of the mounting and it also uses uses screws to lock it down onto the 'support baton'.

You may need access from underneath.

Looks like you're going to have fun with that. Without actually seeing the base fitting itself and just looking at the MI, it looks like the floor mounting has side inlets, i.e. the supplies fit into the side of the mounting and it also uses uses screws to lock it down onto the 'support baton'.

You may need access from underneath.
Madrab, thank you, I’m bloomin’ glad I asked! This one’s out of the running now following your advice, back to the drawing board.

No matter what you do, you will need access from below that floor or from the side of it.

Even just to remove the current tap, you'll need to get down underneath, find where they connect onto the supply pipes and disconnect (once the water is off of course). I would assume there was access somewhere before to allow the current tap to be fitted properly?

Once that's done I'd be looking to replace with a similar type fitting/outlet, what is the reason for replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back