How to remove cement stains from granite stones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating an old granite stone building. Unfortunately a large section of the original lime pointing was repaired by the previous owner using cement. I plan to replace this with a lime mortar but a lot of the stones have been badly stained by cement. I’ve tried scrubbing this off with a wire brush, but to no avail. I am wondering if anyone can recommend ( from their own experience ) any products, like an acid based solution, that could remove these stains without damaging the granite stones? And, if so, where they can be purchased. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
proprietary (sealocrete, everbuild) mortar stain removers are sold at builders merchants and sheds by the dozen.

it is a diluted solution of hydrochloric acid at around 18%.

it will react with the cement, eventually neutralising the cement leaving just sand behind. applying it to a non-visible test area first would be wise.

Noseall, Hi, thanks for recommending those brands - much appreciated. I'll look into them over the weekend. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back