How to remove old insulated flue liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woodburner, the flue has a 6" stainless flexible with insulating jacket (thatched).

The liner is over 40 years old and the jacket is f*** me heavy.

The flue is about 25' tall.

The liner has pulled out of the top clamp. I say clamp, but here's a little tale will make you laugh or not...

At some point perhaps three owners ago, guessing in the 80s, the chimney was raised a couple of feet by adding courses of stonework. It was already lined, so it would have needed a new liner.
Instead, what they did is to stick a length of stove pipe into the top of the existing liner. Just stuck it in there, no clamp no worm clip no nothing. And then they flaunched it with the stove pipe sticking out of the top. Looked the part on al old cottage, and no expense spent.

But in the process of raising the stonework, the liner clamp has vanished. So here we have this unsupported liner with its f*** me jacket resting on top of the woodburner with a stove pipe shoved in the top....
Have to laugh :cry:
The miracle is that it lasted as long as it did, but the other night it came adrift and things got a bit smoky.

So now I need to pull the liner out and the f*** me heavy jacket and replace it.

I'll be working off a full scaffold, easy peasy.

But the jacket...
Any tips please how to get hold of it, how to lift if, given the top of it is two foot or so down a 9" flue. I'm not Charles Atlas but I do have an electric winch. However, winches only work if you can attach them to the load.
Errrm....?

V8
Flue liner thick...jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks, probably best to assume it might be present.
This might of course have something to do with the botcher's reluctance to renew it, hmmm.

So all the more reason to lift it out the top, and not through the house. Which brings me back to my original query....

As above, get it tested for asbestos first off, and that will guide your next move. Assuming there's no asbestos present, gravity is very much your friend on this one. Lots of dust sheets, disconnect at the bottom, and guide it out. You're very unlikely to be able to pull it out from above without hiring a crane twice as high as your house

Sponsored Links
Woodburner, the flue has a 6" stainless flexible with insulating jacket .

The liner is over 40 years old and the jacket is f*** me heavy.

The flue is about 25' tall.
@ that age it's 99% sure to be asbestos - and it looks like it to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back