Removing flue liner upstairs and boarding up chimney breast recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have had a quick Google and although I'm pretty sure I will need ventilation I just thought I'd ask for opinions. We have bought our first home, a bungalow with converted loft dormer.

The downstairs has a nice big chimney breast with a square recess we would like to board up and turn into a feature with a downlight. Obviously not ever planning to use a fire here so all good..

Upstairs, in the timber framed dormer extension, it seems the chimney flue liner ( just a metal looking tube/pipe ) is just boarded around in a cupboard and not bricked up or anything. We would like to remove this flue liner (the metal pipe) completely so that we can remove flatten out the wall.

With all this in mind I have 2 questions...

1. If I remove the upstairs metal flue liner that seems to just be sort of floating and boarded over, am I okay to just board over the chimney flue from the first floor at the top?

2. If I remove this liner, I guess we need to just cut it and pull it from the top, are we then okay to just get rid of whatever sort of cowl is up tip as we will basically have no use for it anymore?

3. This then leaves boarding up the chimney breast recess in our downstairs living room. I guess the chimney flue 'void'will still be in the chimney breast and although it will be boarding over between the first and second floor, do I still need air vents down below?

Thanks, hope this makes sense and any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back