How to remove this UPVC window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've watched a few videos on YouTube, showing that usually the removal is done by uncovering some hidden screw holes around the inside of the frame where the screws are which go through into the masonry. However I can't see how to find these on my UPVC windows. Does anyone know how to remove this type of window? I included some pictures below (yes I know it needs cleaning!):

window1.JPG

window2.JPG

http://www.dswp.co.uk/window3.JPG

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the window is held in on 'cleats', these are metal brackets screwed or clipped to the side of the frame before fitting, also before any internal plastering had taken place, the cleats are then screwed through and into the internal blockwork skin and then plastered over, normally seen on new build sites and done for speed. To remove the window you'll need to cut through the external silicone and pry the window away from the wall very gently and try and see where these cleats are and try with another flat bar or big flat bladed screwdriver to pop the cleats off the side of the window.

Warning, prying too much or going at it like a bull at a gate will result in internal plaster damage for certain, these little things really slow the job down, used to hate them. I've known some fitters to use a fine 1mm disc in a grinder and cut through the cleats between the plaster and pvc window, only if the window is scrap though
Screenshot_20171128-182937.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow thanks a lot crank39! Its going to be more of a pain to remove them than I expected. Typical new build mentality taking shortcuts to save time while causing someone a few years down the line a giant headache.

Crank, could you find the cleats by tapping the window reveal to show their position, or even a stud finder on the metal setting. I haven't seen this type before, so they're new to me.

Sponsored Links
Crank, could you find the cleats by tapping the window reveal to show their position, or even a stud finder on the metal setting. I haven't seen this type before, so they're new to me.

If the reveal has been dot n dabbed then your not going to get anything by tapping, a stud or cable finder could possibly work, you could also slide a kitchen knife between the frame and plaster and work your way up or down, you'd find them this way for sure. It's not impossible to remove the frame without damage and now that you know what's holding the frame in and not going at it like a man possessd wondering why it's not budging, they just slow removal right down, hate them hate them hate them!

Agree! Horrible bloody things.
I usually get my reciprocating saw in there with a long metal cutting blade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back