How to remove water marks on bronze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a bronze fireplace - it was custom made in bronze with an ornamental open gas flame fire inside (all looks great, but not very good at heating).

Anyway, I think rain water has dripped down the chimney and splashed over the bronze box that forms the fireplace. There are small green specks - A finger nail will rub the green off without scratching the metal, but a mark remains where the green was located.

The inside of the fire box is dark coloured (almost black)

Two questions if I may:-
1) Anyone know how to remove the water marks on bronze?
2) The chimney is fitted with a aerator so that we gain enough draw for the open flame. But it is also letting in some rain. Any ideas on other options that will be rain proof and provide the draw.
Thanks
Geoff

Sponsored Links
Metal polish. We have a metal plate just above the opening of our gas fire which helps deflect heat back into room instead of loosing it all up the flue. Our chimney has a simple vented cap , surprised you have that type of vent on a gas fire, though I'm no expert on gas appliances just seems wrong.

Hi

OK will will try metal polish. I guess you mean bog standard Brasso should work?

surprised you have that type of vent on a gas fire, though I'm no expert on gas appliances just seems wrong.

The installed fire did not have enough draw to keep all the fumes inside and directed up the chimney. Whilst the fire is ornamental, the installers insisted that that regs need to be complied with. We started making changes on their instructions until the draw was resolved - each change was reasonable at the time. The 2nd action was to raise the chimney pot and install an aerator. The problem was then solved by a glass deflector fitted above the fire. What we do not know is whether the glass deflector was "the solution", or it was the cumulative effect of the changes. I would like to loose the aerator but I would have to retest the draw fire and may need to put the aerator back.

Would have thought additional vent to the room would improve the draw?

Sponsored Links
Bronze is normally treTed with something to create patina.
Polish will remove this.

I would contact the manufacturer - try distilled water

Would have thought additional vent to the room would improve the draw?

Yes - Cutting two floor vents was the first action recommended by the installers - the draw remained insufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back