how to replace/fix damaged joist in bathroom? added pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after more advice folks :)

The bath in our bathroom has been leaking for years and has rotted away the floorboards at the end where the leak is. I suspected there could be damage to the joist too and I went under the floor to have a look on saturday and found its not in great shape.

Problem is what to do with it. I'd like to remove it and replace it but as its about 30 feet long and goes through a couple of walls I dont see how this could be done without pulling up all the flooring in bathroom and living room. As it passes through the walls I dont think we can just cut out the bad section and replace it. I'm guessing this must be a fairly common problem so whats the normal method of fixing it?

I was wondering whether using joist hangers and running a new joist next to the existing one would be sufficient?

Anyway I'd welcome some advice on how best to fix it. I took a picture while I was down there and I'll add when I get home.

Sponsored Links

Hopefully this will help show the problem. The joist is also slightly embedded in the wall which I thought was rather strange.

I've ideally like to replace the damaged section but without removing the whole joist (I think its getting on for 30' long unless there are joins I cant see in/on the walls) I dont see what I can do other that use joist hangers and put on up next to it.

Can anyone help with some advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back