How to reseed an existing lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just sown my first lawn and am starting to consider how I will attack my other lawn next year which is a slightly different proposition.

This area currently has grass on, although has a lot of weeds. The land also has a lot of divets (mainly caused when I heavily reduced three lime trees, with big bits of tree being dropped onto it). There are also a few roots from a few large trees slightly visible in the current lawn (I doubt there is too much I can do about those?).

I would assume I'll be best off killing off the existing grass and weeds, digging up a little (minding the large roots)and generally flattening and then seeding in late autumn?

Does that sound a sensible approach?

Is there any value in preserving the current grass that is there?

I may be able to shift some soil from other parts of the garden (I plan to dig out for some kind of summer house at some point) onto this bit to level it out without digging up what is there, is that worth considering?

Any general advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I took the top layer up, weedkiller and then turned over the top soil and then started again totally. Sowed new seed and its better than my neighbours lawn who spent a fortune re turfing !.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back