new lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any idea if you can lay lawn on lawn? I need to raise my existing lawn and also fill in the middle and sides as this part currently has no grass. I was thinking of putting down some top soil over the whole area (about 2inches in depth) then put down new lawn. Do you think this would work or will i need to dig out the existing grass lawn?

Cheers
James

Sponsored Links
no the old lawn will rot and make the ground sink a little. Also the old lawn will be well compacted and act a bit like an impervious layer.

All you would need do is spray it with round-up then a week later rotovate and add you new top-soil on top, level it roll it then lay your new lawn.

Personally i lay new turf on a very sandy mixture. So get half top soil half sharp sand for your additional new material. It will make it easier to rake and level and will improve the drainage considerably.

no the old lawn will rot and make the ground sink a little. Also the old lawn will be well compacted and act a bit like an impervious layer.

All you would need do is spray it with round-up then a week later rotovate and add you new top-soil on top, level it roll it then lay your new lawn.

Personally i lay new turf on a very sandy mixture. So get half top soil half sharp sand for your additional new material. It will make it easier to rake and level and will improve the drainage considerably.

Now that's a reply!
Thanks for the advice, it will be duly followed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back