Raise our lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I want to raise the height of our lawn to just under the top of the concrete rubble board. There is a car park the other side of the fence, it's finished height is the same height as our existing lawn.

1/. Can I load soil against the concrete rubble board, will it be strong enough?
2/. Will this create any problems?

The existing turf isn't great, I guess these are my two options? lift the lawn and put to one side, level with new top soil, then replace the sods? Or lift the lawn and chuck it, replace with new lawn?

Any guidance very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not necessarily the same, but I have the concrete panels used as a retainer (2x1ft tall) I lined the soil contact side with the plastic sheeting that's like DPM, then back filled with soil. Been like that for 3 years now, and been fine *touch wood*.

I suppose the handy thing about raising the lawn, is you can have a layer of good quality soil for the turf to have a decent start in. :)

Sponsored Links
Killing off the grass sounds a good option as I wouldn't have to dig it up and get rid, plus less top soil to bring in.

Would I kill existing grass, bring in top soil, then turf?

Thanks.

Yes, it is safe to kill burn grass off (kill it) but use Glycophosphate like Round Up or Clinic. Keep the kids out for at least 24 to 48 hours to ensure the grass has fully dried. In reality it will be dry in 30 minutes in ideal conditions.

Killing the old grass will save you a lot of work. If you are concerned about water building up behind the wall, lay a length of cheap drainage pipe (100mm - 120mm) against the bottom before you back fill the new topsoil.

Thanks Mursal.

I will kill off the part of the lawn that dips away towards the fence, and then add top-soil, and re-turf that area.

Should I re-turf the whole garden or will the new turf and old turf blend in okay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back